Main Menu

Dash assembly

Started by Bobbydodge, January 14, 2018, 02:44:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Bobbydodge

Hello all,
      Does anyone know of a good resource for assembling a e-body dash assembly.not just the dash pad,but everything.I didn't take it apart.it would be nice to have some step by step instructions or better yet a video.I did find a video by barracuda buzz,but really wasn't detailed enough for me.( like Cuda Codie's video on steering column)
                             Thanks,Bob

TelisSE440

Hi Bob, you won't find a video about assembling E Body dashes and surely not as thorough as Cody's. You can download the service manual along with the parts manual and they'll help you, especially the parts manual has the whole parts schematic which will help you a lot and if any problem occurs and you get stuck somewhere then all the members here will be more than willing to help..

truckinman466

A company called just dashes has a video on how to disassemble the dashboard that I used to take mine apart. I suppose you could look at it and go backwards from there

Spikedog08

Welcome Bob!   Not too hard and I’m sure all the members here will be happy to help out and I’m sure I can add some tips as well!  I guess the first thing I would do is run the wiring harness and get it attached to the dash frame. 

:twothumbsup:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Bobbydodge

Thanks guys!I feel better already. I'm sure glad I found this web site.I will start with the wiring harness.looks like the just dash's will be a big help,and I will look into the FSM also.I think I will be able to figure it out once I get into it. Of course Anyone would rather have it all layed out for them

anlauto

Absolute first thing I do is the dash pad.... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Spikedog08

Quote from: anlauto on January 14, 2018, 05:15:22 PM

My bad . . I assumed it was on already.   :drunk:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Bobbydodge

Thanks Alan!Actually I did put the pad on before I made this post.so see spikedog08 your better than you thought you were

Claudia

Quote from: anlauto on January 14, 2018, 05:15:22 PM

:iagree:

After all my parts were refurbished or purchased new . . .

I installed my dash pad first onto the frame. 
Then I did my glove box insert and door.
Next I installed the ashtray support and receiver. 
Then I installed my gauge cluster and switch panel.
Next was the heater control panel and radio bezel.
Finishing up with the wiring harness before installing into the car.

Looking back, I would have also installed the lower LH and lower RH dash corner trim pieces before installing the assembled dash into the car.

Shane Kelley

Here's some reference pics for you.

HEMICUDA

You can assemble everything from the ashtray over last if you want.

1. Main gauges
2. Radio bezel and heater controls (attach both cables to the heater controls before installing)
3. Main gauge plastic bezel
4. Switch panel assembly. (Make sure you have a good ground to the frame)
5. Light bar. (I always put power to the light bar after installed to make sure the frame ground is good)
6. The x2 plastic elbows.
7. Radio
8. Main wiring harness
9. EVERYTHING I FORGOT

Place a couple pieces thick of masking tape over the edge of the main gauge bezel woodgrain so when you install the switch panel assembly, it won't get scratched.  You have to have the switch panel on the exact correct angle and turn it as installed.  Can't tell you exactly what that is, I play with it until it falls in.   I can stress enough how important all the grounds are to the dash frame and the frame to the body.

Claudia

:iagree:  I ran a few extra, dedicated ground wires on my dash and have not had any grounding issues thus far!

anlauto

I personally find it easier to hook the two cables to the heater box first  :alan2cents: but what do I know :looney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

HEMICUDA

Quote from: anlauto on January 17, 2018, 11:08:43 AM
I personally find it easier to hook the two cables to the heater box first  :alan2cents: but what do I know :looney:

Really? No way, I'm not laying on my back and try to screw in a cable on top of the heater controls.