Main Menu

Clock reset assembly standard dash

Started by elan71, June 02, 2021, 09:45:32 AM

Previous topic Next topic

elan71

Hi
I'm trying the reproduce the clock reset assembly for a standard dash for a 70-71 e-Body.
With the help of this forum, I got all the correct measurement. A friend helped me with the first prototype.
It came out very good as you can see on the picture. I'm struggling with the small thread on the small pin.
Can anybody find out what kind of thread this is? I thought it is a 1-72 UNF? But I have no idea is this correct or not.  :dunno:
The reset knob on the rally dash have the same size there.
As I'm in Switzerland, I don't have the tools here to check the correct thread.
I hope anybody can help me.
Thank you in advance.
Daniel
71 'Cuda 340 Automatic

SgtSuperbird

I can't help you, but very nice work!

gzig5

I have the large outer sleeve in my dash but am missing the knob and inner shaft.  I assume the thread goes into the smaller sleeve shown which acts as a nut in order to hold the shaft in the knob, and thus the knob in the outer sleeve?

Do you have a micrometor or caliper to measure thread diameter?  Using some magnification, you can count the number of threads over .250" length and multiply x4 to get the approximate TPI.  You may try taking it to a clock or watch repair shop and they may have the proper thread pitch gages.  I don't think that Switzerland has always been a metric country, until the late 1870's. 

elan71

Ok, I got a TPI of 40. What is TPI?
The caliper shows me 2mm which is 0.0787" I beleve.

Well, since I'm on the earth, we have meters :D
71 'Cuda 340 Automatic

gzig5

Quote from: elan71 on June 03, 2021, 07:34:40 AM
Ok, I got a TPI of 40. What is TPI?
The caliper shows me 2mm which is 0.0787" I beleve.

Well, since I'm on the earth, we have meters :D
TPI means "threads per inch" .  40 TPI is equivalent to 0.64mm pitch
I was going to guess 4-40 size but the examples I have measure 0.110" diameter. 

The diameter you give is similar to a 1-64 but the thread pitch if correct, doesn't match. It could be a custom dimension.
This chart gives some dimensions of the standard screw threads.  http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-tap-standard.htm

anlauto

TPI = Threads per inch

Dam 0.08 too late  :pullinghair: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Skdmark

1-64UNC and 1-72UNF have the same major diameter.
72 TPI = pitch of 0.01389in or 0.352mm (spacing between center of the thread crests)

I believe the threads are also the same on Rallye gauges too. If you can wait until Saturday I can check mine.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

elan71

Thank you for all the answers. I learn every day something more. Cool.
Everything is very small, difficult to count the thread crests...
@Skdmark Yes, Ralley gauges have the same thread there. I'm not under pressure, waiting some days is absolutely no problem.
Looking forward to find the solution here.
Thank you all again!!
71 'Cuda 340 Automatic

elan71

@Skdmark  have you found the time to check it on your car? Would be great.
Thank you in advance
Daniel
71 'Cuda 340 Automatic

Skdmark

@elan71
I took the nut from the rest knob to the hardware store to confirm the size on Sunday. Unfortunately they only went down to 4-40 / 4-48 with their inventory. I plan on making a trip to a hobby store this week and I will try there as they carry hardware for model railroaders. At this point it's just confirming the pitch of 72 TPI vs 64 TPI. My thread pitch gauge only goes down to 48 TPI as well.

I'm fairly confident it is 1-72 UNF just need to get a final confirmation for you.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

elan71

@Skdmark ,
Sounds great!
1-72UNF was my tough too, but I'm not sure.
Thank you for your help!
71 'Cuda 340 Automatic

Skdmark

@elan71
Made a trip to the hobby store and picked up some 1-72 UNF brass nuts.
They thread right onto my original rallye speedometer trip meter.

When I tried them on the reproduction reset cable for the rallye clock they were a bit tight.
I'm thinking the lead threads on the repro cable have a burr on them from when the flats are machined on the threaded portion.

So the thread on the stem should be a 1-72UNF
-Harlan Ellison

elan71

@Skdmark     Thank you very much for the additional effort, support and confirmation.!!  :bigthumb:
This is very helpful and I can make the correct thread on the reproduction.

I keep you all infomred about the process.

Thank you all for the support again.

Daniel
71 'Cuda 340 Automatic

elan71

Now I got around to installing the prototype.
Unlike other photos I have found here, the unit disappears almost completely in the dashboard. Only the button looks out.
This is actually quite good, especially if you have a radio installed. The button disturbs so much less. The function is perfect.
I followed the measurements here from the forum.
My question now, is this factory correct? How was it from the factory?
Are there other examples I may see?
I want to be sure it is as it was from the factory.

Daniel
71 'Cuda 340 Automatic

Rdchallenger

Quote from: elan71 on June 24, 2021, 11:08:53 PM
Now I got around to installing the prototype.
Unlike other photos I have found here, the unit disappears almost completely in the dashboard. Only the button looks out.
This is actually quite good, especially if you have a radio installed. The button disturbs so much less. The function is perfect.
I followed the measurements here from the forum.
My question now, is this factory correct? How was it from the factory?
Are there other examples I may see?
I want to be sure it is as it was from the factory.

Daniel

Who cares if it's correct! It's awesome and fills that dead gauge nicely. I may have to get one.