Main Menu

door glass mechanism rebuild questions for dummies like me (70 Challenger)

Started by 70Challenger440, May 23, 2022, 08:35:34 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70Challenger440

I am new to this forum and not a mechanic so please go easy on me. I do own a really nice 70 Challenger RT 440 that has always had door window issues and I want to finally fix this 'right' regardless of cost so I can enjoy driving it more.  I started another thread to find a shop to do this for me in Long Island. So far no one replied with a recommendation.  This may be redundant and easy for many of you but not for me nor for the shops I may have to deal with. (https://forum.e-bodies.org/cuda-and-challenger-general-discussion-roseville-moparts/2/door-glass-mechanism-recommendation-needed-for-a-shop-in-long-island/25297/). It seems in a worst case scenario I will have to use a shop to do this that has no experience in this type project, or do it myself. That is why I am starting this 2nd thread for my dumb questions. I have already read most if not all of the threads here on the subject and while great they don't answer a few questions simple enough for dopes like me. I have the shop manuals too.

1) The one shop (so far) willing to do this for me (who is inexperienced for this type work),  told me I have to get all the parts, and to make sure I don't miss anything. And if I do, the car may have to sit outside at night if waiting for more parts. (My U-code #matching Challenger is a high impact color with all the stripes so that is probably not a good idea in NY).Attached is a picture list of the parts I do plan to get that I know of. Are there any OTHER parts or kits I missed that are readily available?

2) In my parts to order picture attached are the 'Regulators'.  My car is  well kept,  so there is a decent chance the regulators are fine. I hear sometimes repro parts can have their own different issues. Would you recommend keeping my original "regulators"?  Cost is not the concern, just making it work the best it can.

3) In case I end up doing this myself. I cannot find a VIDEO of the glass removal/install for an E-body. I am still confused even with all the great threads on this forum about one basic thing. I think  you should have all the little parts already on the glass 1st. Do you then slide the glass through the door top slit  and then into the track? I looked at the top of the door track and it doesn't seem like there is enough room to slide the plastic pieces attached to the window into an already installed track sitting in the door.

Thanks

======================================
Parts I plan to order below:

Floyd

What kind of issues are you having with the windows?  Do you think they have ever have been apart?  Original untouched window mechanism may only need cleaning and minor parts replaced but it will still require pulling them out.   There is a long thread here on this site that goes through the process. 

https://forum.e-bodies.org/body-shop/5/cuda-door-and-side-window-replacement/371/

That, combined with a careful reading/re-reading of the FSM may get you through.  I agree that a video would be super helpful but I haven't seen one.

I think you should either keep looking for a competent shop with direct experience or plan on doing it yourself. 

Challenger in NC

Quote from: 70Challenger440 on May 23, 2022, 08:35:34 AM

2) In my parts to order picture attached are the 'Regulators'.  My car is  well kept,  so there is a decent chance the regulators are fine. I hear sometimes repro parts can have their own different issues. Would you recommend keeping my original "regulators"?  Cost is not the concern, just making it work the best it can.

I just went through this whole process and I actually had a bent regulator so I replaced it with a used one I had. Unless your originals are damaged or got heavily corroded, which does not sound like your case, cleaning and minor parts replacement, as Floyd said, will help a lot. Lubricating everything once the old caked on grease is cleaned off will also improve things. It does take a fair amount of time to remove, re-build and replace everything. Take lots of pictures inside the door before your tear things apart. Once you get everything back together, it will take some time to adjust the windows to get the seals right, I'm going through that step now.

70Challenger440

Quote from: Floyd on May 23, 2022, 09:43:59 AM
What kind of issues are you having with the windows?  Do you think they have ever have been apart?  Original untouched window mechanism may only need cleaning and minor parts replaced but it will still require pulling them out.   There is a long thread here on this site that goes through the process. 

https://forum.e-bodies.org/body-shop/5/cuda-door-and-side-window-replacement/371/

That, combined with a careful reading/re-reading of the FSM may get you through.  I agree that a video would be super helpful but I haven't seen one.

I think you should either keep looking for a competent shop with direct experience or plan on doing it yourself.

I have seen that thread before. I actually spent hours in the last few weeks reviewing it. Such a great thread, but unless I missed something it still does not answer question #3 which is why I was hoping for a video to answer that question. Hopefully someone can answer question #3 in the first post that started this thread..

I don't think it has ever been apart but had a makeshift fix to one specific thing in the late 1970s by the prior owner. I have just included pics of what I refer to. In  pic#1 you can see that one part that popped out was a dirty quick fix probably before repro parts were available. Pics#2+3 show what is probably a correct original part that finally gave way and slid to the bottom of the door track.

Pic#4 is the replacement kit I bought. I was hoping to (at first) just to replace the broken part in particular. But I then realized I can't do that without removing the glass. (again the reason for  my question #3 in my original post)

I am not concerned with the quarter panel glass. I never opened them once and I am OK to just leave them up  and never touch so as not to pull my original interior ever apart as much I can avoid.

Challenger in NC

Quote from: 70Challenger440 on May 23, 2022, 10:40:02 AM
Quote from: Floyd on May 23, 2022, 09:43:59 AM

I have seen that thread before. I actually spent hours in the last few weeks reviewing it. Such a great thread, but unless I missed something it still does not answer question #3 which is why I was hoping for a video to answer that question. Hopefully someone can answer question #3 in the first post that started this thread..

I don't think it has ever been apart but had a makeshift fix to one specific thing in the late 1970s by the prior owner. I have just included pics of what I refer to. In  pic#1 you can see that one part that popped out was a dirty quick fix probably before repro parts were available. Pics#2+3 show what is probably a correct original part that finally gave way and slid to the bottom of the door track.

Pic#4 is the replacement kit I bought. I was hoping to (at first) just to replace the broken part in particular. But I then realized I can't do that without removing the glass. (again the reason for  my question #3 in my original post)

I am not concerned with the quarter panel glass. I never opened them once and I am OK to just leave them up  and never touch so as not to pull my original interior ever apart as much I can avoid.

The plastic pieces can be attached to the glass but I think the rear vertical track with the plastic blue wedge needs to be out of the door and installed after the glass is already in the door. I can look at my door tonight and verify that.

70Challenger440

As an alternative easy solution: Is there any way to replace this part and get it in the track and holding the glass through that hole, WITHOUT removing the window? That would be a quick  fix to my problem. I might be able to live with it for the time being and see how it works out.

Challenger in NC

I am not sure you can attach that piece without having the glass out, there is a screw that holds that slider on and requires access to the front side of the glass. You will need to have the glass off the front track in order to install the slider and I cant see how that would be done with the glass inside the door. If there is a way to do it, a lot of shifting would need to happen and the inside of those doors dont have a lot of extra room. If you need guidance on the glass removal, let us know.

moparroy

That thread Floyd referenced helped me a ton.
Rear track lose installed in the door.
Front track goes in with the glass - with the sliders pre-installed on the glass and the track slid over those sliders. I used some masking tape to help hold that front track on the glass while inserting it.
The one thing that I discovered on my own - mine is a '74 not sure if '70 is same - I removed the up stops (plastic nylon bushing with large philips head screw) from the glass and reinstalled them after the glass was in. I found it easier to get the glass into the door with those upstops removed.

anlauto

Quote from: moparroy on May 23, 2022, 04:42:55 PM
That thread Floyd referenced helped me a ton.
Rear track lose installed in the door.
Front track goes in with the glass - with the sliders pre-installed on the glass and the track slid over those sliders. I used some masking tape to help hold that front track on the glass while inserting it.
The one thing that I discovered on my own - mine is a '74 not sure if '70 is same - I removed the up stops (plastic nylon bushing with large philips head screw) from the glass and reinstalled them after the glass was in. I found it easier to get the glass into the door with those upstops removed.

In 70-71 the upstops are on the outside of the glass, nearly impossible to install after  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

moparroy

I wondered about that  - hence the not sure if 70 us the same - well that way they are not competing with the front track for space in the door top opening :)

70Challenger440

After checking more, I have all the bolts except for this  one ( 4 are needed, I have 3). Can anyone suggest where I can buy it. (or a suitable replacement that would work).

RJChallenger

@70Challenger440  welcome to the site. Im not home until sat, I have one of those bolts . Ill gladly mail you one . Let me know if i can help

70Challenger440

Quote from: RJChallenger on May 24, 2022, 05:29:44 AM
@70Challenger440  welcome to the site. Im not home until sat, I have one of those bolts . Ill gladly mail you one . Let me know if i can help

Thanks, I hit the private message button to you.

RJChallenger

@70Challenger440  My deepest apologies, I can't find that bolt anywhere. I will look again tonight after work , but if I cant find it , hopefully another member can help you out. Sorry once again.