Main Menu

E-Body Rallye Woodgrain plate restoration

Started by Aar1064, January 05, 2017, 03:55:48 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Aar1064

Hello All,
I just wanted to share the restoration of my Rallye woodgrain plates. I wasn't having any luck with repop versions of this so I researched for quite a while for a solution and came across Hydrographics. I wasn't aware of this technology and was blown away at how many things can be dipped. If you're not familiar with it, Google it and you shall see as well.

1. Starting with the old plates I stripped them to remove the finish then media blasted in my cabinet using low pressure and worn out media which was just right for this kind of project. Under the finish and in some exposed areas (thin accent lines around the gauge bezel holes) were some discolorations that only the media will remove. These blemishes needed to be removed because these thin rings were natural brushed aluminum.
2. After preparation was complete, I painted the black top edge with SEM trim black being careful to mask of everything below it. Using a razor blade to cut the tape helped with a clean edge.
3. To paint the brown around the gauge circles, I bought some Testors flat enamel I picked up at Michaels craft store. I used a color named Rubber but color was too dark so I mixed in some other colors to lighten it a bit. I have since learned that they also make a color named Dark Brown and it looks closer to the original right out of the bottle. Okay paint is ready now for masking. This was simple, I used 2 inch tape placing it on the front side covering all four openings. I made sure that around the entire edge that tape was stuck good. I then sprayed the brown from the backside using my touch up gun making sure that paint was being applied all the way to the edge of face.
4. Next up was masking off the painted areas and the raised edges then spraying both plates with a base coat suitable for the overall original appearance needed. Ended up with a medium brown. The base is just as important as the woodgrain pattern because the film is thin and translucent and will drastically change the outcome. This was proved by the company that dipped the part.
5. Dipping was the easy part.
6. Switch Panel lettering was next. This particular company also had a vinyl letter cutting machine so I handed them the font I found that matched the original font on a flash drive and they loaded into their system, we chose the correct size and then stuck them to the raised pads on the switch panel.
7. Both pieces were then sprayed with a matte clear to protect the woodgrain film. This is must.

All in all I think it turned out great and I had fun doing it. Dip cost including base and clear was $150. Glad I decided to let someone else do the dipping because the kits alone are close to $100.

I also posted a video of the dipping process in the gallery.

Cuda Cody

That has to be the BEST job I've ever seen restoring a Rallye gauge woodgrain.  I'm super impressed!   :worship:  :worship:  :worship:  :worship:

Cuda Cody

anlauto

The reproduction dash pieces available from Performance Car Graphics are darn near perfect. :bradsthumb:

Your looks very nice too. :perfect10:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

headejm

Any recommendations or techniques for touching up a small scratched area? The rest of the piece looks pretty good.

Cuda Cody

I'm curious too if anyone has a good way to fix those small scratches?   :notsure:  I've had only average luck with a few similar color pens I get from the craft store, but it never looks as good as new.

Aar1064

Quote from: headejm on January 05, 2017, 07:51:21 PM
Any recommendations or techniques for touching up a small scratched area? The rest of the piece looks pretty good.

No not really. My original switch plate had areas where woodgrain had came off and I tried stain pens, stain crayons, and even magic markers but it never looked good at all. This is the reason why I decided to try and restore it.

fc7cuda

Wow, super nice job!! Very impressed.   Can I send you mine to do?

Seriously. :bravo:

Tom

Shoooter

That looks great. Good job. What car is it going in?

Aar1064

Quote from: fc7cuda on January 07, 2017, 06:48:58 PM

Tom

Thanks for the kind words. I'd love to help but at this time I barely have enough time to work on my build. Be glad to answer any questions though or if you can wait a while.

fc7cuda

Quote from: Aar1064 on January 08, 2017, 05:49:24 AM
Quote from: fc7cuda on January 07, 2017, 06:48:58 PM

Tom

Thanks for the kind words. I'd love to help but at this time I barely have enough time to work on my build. Be glad to answer any questions though or if you can wait a while.

I understand, I have the same time management challenge with 4 kids and 3 project cars.  I have time to wait so if things change on your end LMK.

Again, great job!

Tom

cudaragtop

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

Aar1064

Quote from: Shoooter on January 07, 2017, 09:33:16 PM
That looks great. Good job. What car is it going in?

Thanks. It's an FE5 AAR. 4-speed, color bumper, window louver, vinyl top, and am 8 track car. First pic was taken four years ago this month. The day I got it home. I'm currently putting it back together and hope to be riding by early summer.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration