Main Menu

Glove Box lock operation ?

Started by Katfish, June 27, 2017, 06:55:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Katfish

70 Challenger, glove box has a key.
Just how is this supposed to work, how do you lock it?

I close glove box, insert key, it will open glove box when turned, but doesn't do anything to turn further to lock it.

What am I missing?

Cuda Cody

Are you talking about the glove box in the dash or the glove box in the console?  The key should turn and lock the box.  Does yours not turn?  Are you sure it's the correct key?

Katfish

Glove Box in dash,  key inserts all the way.
I have no idea if it's the right key, very possible it's not.
My car is a mixture of unknown parts.

So correct operation is: key should rotate another 90 degrees or so then be removed to lock, if the key is right?

Cuda Cody

Yes, round headed key.  Insert key and turn from horizontal to vertical (counter clockwise) then remove key = locked.

Katfish

It must not be the correct key, definitely doesn't turn that much.

Appreciate the help!

Chryco Psycho

If you remove the glovebox door & take it to an Auto locksmith they can pick the lock , remove it & make a key that fits or rekey it to work with your trunk key , the lock cylinder has to be locked to remove it .

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  Easy to re-key the lock and you'll be good to go.

Katfish

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 27, 2017, 09:51:16 PM
If you remove the glovebox door & take it to an Auto locksmith they can pick the lock , remove it & make a key that fits or rekey it to work with your trunk key , the lock cylinder has to be locked to remove it .

Is there any other way to get it apart without it being locked?
I don't mind drilling it out if that would help.
The knob is in rough shape so I need a new cylinder.
I'd rather not pay a locksmith if I don't need to.

Timbbuc2

Just went through the same problem. I paid the locksmith because I figured I would pay more for the glovebox lock with a key, plus he left the lock out so I could paint it. Cost me 85$, but I am sure every locksmith may be different. @Cuda Cody is the dash glove box key the same for the console glove box?
Get in, I'll drive

fc7cuda

I have the kit to rekey your lock, using whichever key you're trying to use/match.  It's actualy a mopar key set.  I've used it several times, I'll post a pic when I get home Saturday. 

Lmk if I can help.

Tom

Cuda Cody

I've picked them before with a paper clip, but that's not something I can easily explain.  A locksmith or a drill bit are two easy options.  The glove box door is super easy to remove so it might not hurt to take it to a locksmith and get a quote.

Quote from: Katfish on June 28, 2017, 02:50:37 AM
Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 27, 2017, 09:51:16 PM

Is there any other way to get it apart without it being locked?
I don't mind drilling it out if that would help.
The knob is in rough shape so I need a new cylinder.
I'd rather not pay a locksmith if I don't need to.

Cuda Cody

Yes, same round key.  :bigthumb:

Quote from: Timbbuc2 on June 28, 2017, 06:17:21 AM
is the dash glove box key the same for the console glove box?

Katfish

Is there an option for a knob that doesn't use a key?
Trying to get out of this with minimal expense.

Still need to know if I can drill out the cylinder to remove from door without the key?

Cuda Cody

The console on the floor can be just a push button and no lock and I think the glove box door could too based on years.   :huh:  And yes, you can drill it out to remove it.  These might help:

Chryco Psycho

Bring it to Carlisle & I will pick it open & remove it for you  :twothumbsup: