Main Menu

Glove box, who’s is the best

Started by Crash520, December 10, 2019, 12:25:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Crash520

Hi Team, I'd like to replace my glove box, cardboard is getting a little tired, who makes the best re-pop piece now?
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

anlauto

I think there is only one manufacture REM. However in the last year or so they started using some sort of laminated material that looks terrible. So which ever vendor you buy from, try and get some old stock if they have it. :alan2cents:

Maybe by now REM has gone back to the old stuff, I know a lot of people were complaining.  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Crash520

Greg
Brisbane
Australia

anlauto

The old ones are pretty much like your original, sort of a dull flat black material.
The new ones are like a shiny silvery grey colour..
Same manufacture  :looney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

6Pack70

I bought one on Ebay and it was perfect duplicate of OEM.  Can't remember who it was from.  6 months ago I bought one from Year One and had to send it back for credit.  The courtesy light hole was on the wrong side.  They took care of me no issues.  I didnt buy another from them.  I ended up getting another one off eBay and it had that plastic laminate on it. I warmed it with a heat gun, started picking at it with a razor blade and ended up peeling all of the laminate off of it.  Took about an hour and it looked perfect.   I won't do it again though.

anlauto

I found the above pictures on eBay  :alan2cents:  Maybe David at Roseville can chime in as to which ones he has in stock ?

tparker

I believe I got mine . from legendary Interiors. I can't swear it is perfect repo, but it looks accurate and very similar to the one top Alan posted . and not tthe bottom. I can't tell if the one they are currently selling is the same or not.

ec_co

Quote from: anlauto on December 10, 2019, 03:54:42 PM
I found the above pictures on eBay  :alan2cents:  Maybe David at Roseville can chime in as to which ones he has in stock ?

I called today to ask, just waiting to hear back.
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

69BFan

There is two different manufactures of the glove boxes and similar card board pieces.  Most vendors use the  REM brand, the other alternative is the Repops brand.  Like many parts that we could get a couple years ago, the correct thickness of the card board type of material that REM was using was discontinued by the manufacture of that particular style of card board.  REM tried to use a similar but thinner style of card board as offered by the manufacture, but to my understanding it would not hold up to the bends and hold the desired shape due to the thinner material.  REM told me that to make a custom thickness run of card board would be cost prohibitive in keeping the cost of the glove boxes in line with the current pricing. 

Thus they went with the more laminated material that is a more rigid material and holds up to moisture.  My personal observation on the new material is that it is not as flexible for the installation of the box, especially if the dash is still in the car.  But depending upon the correctness of the restoration, it seems that most buyers have no real issues with the new material.

I asked REM on the possibility of offering both styles with a upcharge for the correct material and was told it would not be cost effective, which I can understand.  I know that we had the same issue for the panel board that we carry for the older models from the 30s and 40s that used a similar style of card board and it was like wise changed to a thinner material and the color options were reduced as well.  REM did tell me that SEMS makes a interior flat black interior paint that will adhere to the material and give it the appearance of the older style of card board.  You would still have to wipe the paint off of the metal attaching hardware, but that would not be a huge job.

The other alternative is the Repops brand.  To my understanding, they are using the older style of card board but in the thinner thickness.  I have not compared one of these to a factory original or to the older REM inventory. 

So with this said, if the visual correctness is the most important side to you, then you might want to seek out a vendor for the Repops brand.  Otherwise, you will have to live with the shiner material from REM or attempt to paint it to make it more cosmetically correct for a restoration. 

Hopefully your vendor of choice will divulge what manufacture that they are offering.  I know that I had four of the older REM E-Body boxes and they were snapped up by a collector for $50 each as he wanted the most correct pieces that were currently available.  I only wish I had more of them.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.

Crash520

Thanks everyone, great info as usual
Greg
Brisbane
Australia