Main Menu

heater box hook?

Started by GoMangoBoys, March 30, 2021, 08:19:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

I copied the attached picture from this thread.
https://forum.e-bodies.org/engine-transmission-and-rear-end/4/heater-box-restoration/19939/msg250503#msg250503

I need to know what this hook is.  I do not have one.  Does it latch the heater box to the cowl?

Where can I get one ASAP.  I will be ready to install my heater box in a day or 2 and this might hold me up if I actually need it.

Thanks

B5fourspeed

Yes you need it.I have one.I will Pm you.

Rich G.

That hook holds the box tight to the cowl . Without it it will hang down. A bit of a trick to get it on if you didn't see how it came off.

GoMangoBoys

Good news!  I found my hook.  I want to give a shout-out and a giant THANK You to @B5fourspeed for offering to rush ship one to me.  Thankfully, I found mine before he went to the post office.
This is one of the primary things that I LOVE about this forum.  People helping strangers with a common interest.

7E-Bodies

@GoMangoBoys if you would, post back on how that hook works. I've seen some posts here where guys are struggling. My non AC heater box on my 70 will be interesting as I bought the project in pieces. All in all, it's in very nice shape. I just got back my blower motor from Topher McGinnis. He did a stellar job on it.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

GoMangoBoys

Will do.  I have to wait on a new heater core now.  The one I bought from Rock Auto was not fabricated correctly and does not fit.  I am getting another from Oreily tomorrow.

7E-Bodies

@GoMangoBoys I have one in what appears to be great shape. Came out of my 70 non AC. It has a 1983 or 1984 decal on it. I opted to pick up a rebuilt original. You're welcome to the old one if you'd pay for the ride from Illinois.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

GoMangoBoys

Thank you @7E-Bodies .  I have already ordered one from Oreily and it will be here tomorrow.
Thank you again for your offer.

70 Top Banana

Agree, please post the removal and reinstall on the hook. I need to replace the heater core on my car (non ac car as well) and had planned on removing the heater box and restore it.

SgtSuperbird

Here's another angle of the cowl hook. You reach up into the passenger side floor vent and push the hook toward the firewall. The heater box should drop. Although the service manual doesn't instruct it, I removed the lower portion of my inner glovebox to give more clearance to remove the box.

70 Top Banana

That heater box and blower motor looks terrific! You do that yourself? Great job!

SgtSuperbird

Thank you; yes I did. And no special tools or plating was necessary. Soap and water and a toothbrush on the housing, and green scotch brite pads and 0000 steel wool, then satin clear on the blower motor. Same with the cable brackets. Hand polished the hardware, and cleaned the assorted black phosphate clips.

The seal kit came from Golling of Roseville, as did the heater core. I used some of the new seals, but not all.