Main Menu

How to fix needle on gauge?

Started by 1Burgfish, April 23, 2019, 12:24:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1Burgfish

:wrenching: Quick question I will throw out here; has anyone ever changed a needle on a gauge? Trying to fix the needle that broke on a speedo gauge.... :notsure:

fireguyfire

I'm curious to hear answers too; I've got the same problem which I will be repairing soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 Wild R/T

Speedo needle usual will simply pull straight off... If you have a donor speedo.... Otherwise I've heard of guys gluing a clock second hand onto/over the original needle...

Chryco Psycho

I have epoxied a piece of wire behind the 2 pieces

Racer57

Be sure the speedo is working properly before going to all that work. The needles usually break because it was jumping around really bad.

1Burgfish

:wrenching: Thanks all; I have a spare speedo that I will try to pull the needle off and replace the broken one. Will see how it goes :fingerscrossed:

fireguyfire

Anyone got some tips on the best way to remove the speedo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skid Row

Re-covered my Rallye gauges to white faces & instructions from PremiumDashDecals.com states Tach and speedo needles removed by twist & pulling in counter clock wise direction.

1Burgfish

:wrenching: Everyone I was able to pull the needle off by holding the wheel that the needle is attached to at the back part of the speedo and twisting the needle; you have to be real careful though since the needle is fragile and bends easily grab it by the round center part and turn it slightly to break it loose. :thankyou:

Racer57

Your going to have to remove the entire gauge cluster to access the speedometer.

Chryco Psycho

loosening the column & dropping it down will help get the cluster out , put some tape over the left side of the woodgrain when you go to remove the switch panel too so it doesn't scratch

Racer57

As Chryco Psycho suggests, drop the column by removing the two nuts that hold the it to the dash and remove all of the bolts (except one) that holds it to the firewall. Take the passenger seat out. It will make it easy to lay on your back, take out the radio and use your phone to take pictures of the wiring on back side of cluster.