Main Menu

How to free up cable

Started by blown motor, April 09, 2021, 08:59:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

This cable is seized. I've been putting PB Blaster on each end to hopefully free it up but no luck. What can I do to get it unseized?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Floyd

headejm

njsteve

Also try using a heat gun on low setting along the entire length of the plastic portion (after doing the evaporust soak) while gently pulling/pushing on the ends.

dodj

Soaking, time, and flexing. ...

The cable, not you Murray....lol
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

7E-Bodies

I've always been a huge fan of Kroil over PB. Many success stories. However, I've never had one of those cables seized. I'd turn to my Kroil, let soak, then continually flex the cable and not get in a hurry.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

jimynick

Coil it up Murray and put it in a large heavy duty ziplock and pour in your favourite recommended concoction- no, not Guinness!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

mopar jack

That looks like the driver side air vent. Have you tried to push on the damper to help the cable movement? I just rebuilt my heater box and driver side air vent and that vent would stick. I finally had to use a little oil on the rubber seal to help it release and adjust the cable as to not close to tight.

blown motor

@mopar jack The damper move fine. No problem there.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

70Barracuda

There is a motorcycle cable lube tool,  Cheap and works good

Sniper, 493/383, Firmfeel, RMS Streetlynx, Speedhut. Dana, 4 gear.