Main Menu

Installing New Upholstery

Started by 70_440-6Cuda, August 30, 2022, 05:28:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70_440-6Cuda

OK, I am heading down the rabbit hole...  thought I would be simply putting on some new P&G Classics foam and upholstery but realized after completing 1 seat back I may have cut some corners and looking for some advice.  I read through these threads,  which were awesome but left me with more questions.... 

https://forum.e-bodies.org/interior/6/seat-track-disassembly/505/msg5703#msg5703
https://forum.e-bodies.org/interior/6/installing-new-upholstery-in-front-buckets-for-1970-challenger/21215/msg268083#msg268083

Seems my original seats were redone at some point as I found a few odd things when I got them apart.  So now I am going to strip everything down, media blast the frames and tracks, paint everything and start from scratch.

Couple questions on the small wires that weave into the burlap, the listing wires and the jute around the edges:

• do the small wires woven into the burlap and the jute edging go on the seat bottom and on the seat back?  My seat backs did not have the small wires or the jute edging.
  • in the MT article they use some clothes line on either side of the small wire, but I do not see it getting attached to anything - does it just lay in place
  • What are you using to replace missing listing wire?

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

R/T's 4 R/P

All the burlap would have had the interwoven spring wires. They simple connected the zig zag (also known as no-sag springs) to create a more rigid surface so the springs wouldn't compress into the foam.
You don't specifically need those wires the same way. But having something across the surface of the springs is important, especially for seats, backrests get far less use.

When you say Listing wires, what are you referring to?
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

JH27N0B

Aren't the listing wires the steel rods that insert into the fabric "tunnels" on the underside of the covers, that you hogring the seat cover to the seat frame in order to create the contours in the seat?

70_440-6Cuda

Quote from: R/T's 4 R/P on August 30, 2022, 07:01:27 PM
All the burlap would have had the interwoven spring wires. They simple connected the zig zag (also known as no-sag springs) to create a more rigid surface so the springs wouldn't compress into the foam.
You don't specifically need those wires the same way. But having something across the surface of the springs is important, especially for seats, backrests get far less use.

When you say Listing wires, what are you referring to?

Not sure why my photos didnt load properly, but I am referring to the wires that attach to the seat springs beneath the foam, that you hog ring the upholstery to.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

R/T's 4 R/P

You can buy that paper wrapped wire from Amazon, or other upholstery shops.
I think Legendary sells it as well.
Loosely hog ring that to the surface/springs to allow for some flexibility when attaching the cover, it also allows for easier hog ringing of the cover.
Covers don't come with the wires that slide into the hold-down sleeves, so you'll need to reuse old ones or make some with 1/8th rod.
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

70_440-6Cuda

Quote from: R/T's 4 R/P on August 31, 2022, 04:49:07 AM
You can buy that paper wrapped wire from Amazon, or other upholstery shops.
I think Legendary sells it as well.
Loosely hog ring that to the surface/springs to allow for some flexibility when attaching the cover, it also allows for easier hog ringing of the cover.
Covers don't come with the wires that slide into the hold-down sleeves, so you'll need to reuse old ones or make some with 1/8th rod.

Thanks!  Any idea of the gauge of the paper wrapped wire?

tparker

I am not sure about the size of the wrapped wire. I think my kit came with them. I don't think the exact gauge is all that important. Should be sturdy enough yet not giant sized. LOL. Not sure that helps. I seem to recall about the thickness of a thick coat hanger. Not sure that helps either since I don't know the gauge. 

But my kit did not include the weaved wire in the burlap. For that I just used mig welding wire and that seems to work pretty good. THat article above may have mentioned it, or another one. I forget.

SilverFrost73

:popcorn:
Keep us posted, I'll be doing the same thing this winter.
If prayer isn't needed to accomplish your goals then you're not setting your goals high enough!
Unknown

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard!
Unknown