Main Menu

Int spray paint

Started by hemibird, January 31, 2017, 05:25:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

hemibird

Question for anyone that has used Herb's int spray paint. How does it match up to the original color? I bought some of the stuff classic ind sells, not even close (to light). I am trying to do the trim on a 1970 f8 cuda the int color is DK green met. Thanks

Cuda Cody

I'm curious too.   :clueless:  I will doing a green interior (someday).

anlauto

I just did a steering column with it last week. I love the results. Did the visors and other parts awhile, can't say enough good things about it...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

Just went to the shop to snap these photos.....In these pictures the metal wiring cover IS NOT painted, it's 47 year old F8 green next to parts painted with Herb's paints. It may be like 2% darker. :brainiac:

I've now used, green, blue, burnt orange with great results and also love their white, much better than SEM Super white :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

750-h2

Al, that looks good! What do you do to get the Suede look?

cudaragtop

I just realized I could zoom in by clicking on the pictures...  :wave:

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

Cuda Cody

Nice job Alan!!!  That green looks like a perfect match.   :clapping:  Column is looking good too.

Spikedog08

Quote from: cudaragtop on January 31, 2017, 06:33:13 PM
I just realized I could zoom in by clicking on the pictures...  :wave:

Yeah but it just brings up the original sized picture . . So if the picture is no larger than the post  . . Then it may not zoom!  Pretty cool either way!   :bigthumb:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

anlauto

Quote from: 750-h2 on January 31, 2017, 06:29:06 PM
Al, that looks good! What do you do to get the Suede look?
It's all in the technique  :-X :lookatthat:

cataclysm80

I'm surprised to hear that over the counter rattle cans can be good.

Nice side by side pics Alan, those are really helpful!

screamindriver

Let's not forget original plastic/metal parts didn't have the exact same color throughout the interior...A quick and easy way to tell a "restored" interior is all the parts the exact same shade of ------- in the car..... So a small variance might be a good thing.... The real test on a painted interior part is later if the prep was not correct or the paint isn't durable...I personally won't spray any plastic interior part without an adhesion promoter even with good part prep....

anlauto

Quote from: screamindriver on January 31, 2017, 07:41:53 PM
Let's not forget original plastic/metal parts didn't have the exact same color throughout the interior...A quick and easy way to tell a "restored" interior is all the parts the exact same shade of ------- in the car..... So a small variance might be a good thing.... The real test on a painted interior part is later if the prep was not correct or the paint isn't durable...I personally won't spray any plastic interior part without an adhesion promoter even with good part prep....

I agree with that, but in the above pictures, I've sprayed plastic, vinyl and metal using the same paint and got three different results in colour. :twothumbsup:
Of course adhesion promoter was used on the vinyl and plastic.  :alan2cents:

fc7cuda

Parts look great Alan, I'm sure you've done enough to know how to do it right.  :bravo:

Can you do a vinyl dash pad for 68 Charger?

Tom

hemibird

Quote from: anlauto on February 01, 2017, 04:29:41 AM
Quote from: screamindriver on January 31, 2017, 07:41:53 PM

I agree with that, but in the above pictures, I've sprayed plastic, vinyl and metal using the same paint and got three different results in colour. :twothumbsup:
Of course adhesion promoter was used on the vinyl and plastic.  :alan2cents:

We spray int often prep is the key (and yes adhesion promoter on plastic & vinyl). The different shades are due to materials ( plastic's ,vinyl , metal). My issue was the color. Alan yours look great I ordered from Herbs going to try theirs out. Here is a pic of what we used and it's nowhere close. Not a great pic but you will get the idea. Bought from classic ind.

anlauto

I think when you're dealing with Mopar colours you need to stick to a Mopar guy like Herb. I have no idea who's mixing and packaging the paint for him, but with the colours I've used, the match has been pretty darn close IN MY OPINION.

I'm the OER is a great quality product, but starting out as mainly "Chevy guys" I'm sure they don't give a lot of care to exact paint match for Chryslers....Probably have like a "dark green" as opposed to the correct green...  :alan2cents: