Main Menu

Int spray paint

Started by hemibird, January 31, 2017, 05:25:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

farmboy70

I agree on the Herbs dye.
I have used it also.
Just finished using it on some interior plastic.
I use PPG adhesion system for plastic.
On these panels ,someone had dyed them twice before.
The good news is they didn't chalk up as white usually does.
Too bad about the speaker holes though.
Dave

HP_Cuda

That color match is crazy, very nice.

When I did my last set of rear door panels, they turned out great but they were black and I did a ton of prep.

I'm sure with color is can be a bit more challenging.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

750-h2

Nice job! Can you tell us what product you used to strip the old dye? I always thought that paint remover would melt the plastic??

farmboy70

Quote from: 750-h2 on February 01, 2017, 02:54:56 PM
Nice job! Can you tell us what product you used to strip the old dye? I always thought that paint remover would melt the plastic??
Though I cant say I would recommend it. I used Lacquer thinner and a scotch brite pad.
If you try it ,do a small are to see what effect it has on your panels.
It did work great on these.
Dave

750-h2

Thanks, I would have thought for sure that lacquer thinner would have melted the plastic.

screamindriver

Quote from: anlauto on February 01, 2017, 04:29:41 AM
Quote from: screamindriver on January 31, 2017, 07:41:53 PM
Let's not forget original plastic/metal parts didn't have the exact same color throughout the interior...A quick and easy way to tell a "restored" interior is all the parts the exact same shade of ------- in the car..... So a small variance might be a good thing.... The real test on a painted interior part is later if the prep was not correct or the paint isn't durable...I personally won't spray any plastic interior part without an adhesion promoter even with good part prep....

I agree with that, but in the above pictures, I've sprayed plastic, vinyl and metal using the same paint and got three different results in colour. :twothumbsup:
Of course adhesion promoter was used on the vinyl and plastic.  :alan2cents:
They do look great.. :cheers: .With a match like that and a touch of color variance you can't ask for more...I might give his a try...I get tired of playing the "color match" game with the local paint supply store...

farmboy70

Quote from: 750-h2 on February 01, 2017, 04:16:57 PM
Thanks, I would have thought for sure that lacquer thinner would have melted the plastic.
One reason my lacquer thinner may not have harmed the panels is I recycle my thinner and it looses some potency after several cycles.
So be carefull ,wouldn't want anyone to damage theirs based on me lucking out.
Dave

cataclysm80

I had some green panels which had been rattle canned black in the past.
I scrubbed them down with scotch brite pad & paint thinner,  then hit the stubborn spots with lacquer thinner.
Seemed to work fine for me.  They were green again when I was done.  A bit chalky in spots from sun damage though.

Jim AAR

Acetone works as well, but always do a test spot on your panels first.

It takes longer than Lacquer Thinner, but it did not damage the pebble on my panels.

The panels are in great shape but I painted the Interior Panels back in the 80's because the Rear Panels had some chalking by the rear windows and I had to replace the drivers side front door panel because the previous owner used to leave his dog in the car and he scratched the hell out of the top to the point of removing almost all of the pebble and I could only find a black one to replace it with back then. But even though I used paint made for plastic using a spray gun, it lasted for awhile, but soon started flaking off.

So now I have to remove all the paint that didn't flake off.

I started the process by removing the panels and using my High Pressure Washer on them which removed quite a bit if it, but left stubborn spots on there.

I thought about using Lacquer Thinner but I figured this would be a little to harsh and didn't want to lose the pebble.

So I had a gallon of Acetone (since Acetone is the main ingredient in Nail Polish Remover and it doesn't hurt fingernails) I tried that and it works quite well, but takes awhile.

I was only using a cloth to do it, but I'm going to try using a scotch pad lightly, it may work a little faster, just don't want to damage the pebble.

PatO

Does someone have a link to Herbs Paints  :notsure:

I'm getting ready to finish my dash. The pad is original, with out any cracks. It is still slightly pliable but needs a deep cleaning to get rid of all the dirt and Armour All.  I'm trying to figure out if a dye or one of these spray on products would be best.

Thanx!

303 Mopar

PatO

Thanks MOPAR 303,  I'm going to order some this week and spray the dash pad next weekend.  I'll report back on how it turns out.