Main Menu

Light bar curved?

Started by GoMangoBoys, April 19, 2021, 06:00:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

Is the light bar for the instrument cluster supposed to be curved?  I got the dash completely reassembled and tonight I had a buddy help me put it in the car.  I then noticed that the dash pass has a major issue.  There is a big wrinkle above the guages on the rear of the top side.  It was not like that when I took it out of the box.  As near as I can tell, the light bar pushed up on the rear of the pad.   I had it upside down on the bench the whole time I worked on assembling it, so I never saw this until now.  I just dont know if this can be rectified.  I sure am feeling pretty disgusted right now, that is for sure.  I feel like the light bar being curved is contributing to where this pushed up.  I also feel like the foam under the vinyl is kind of this in that wrinkled area, while in feel it is kind of thick on the underside of the dash where it tucks under the light bar.  Also, I am not sure if the curvature of the light bar is the result of screwing it down with the thick foam under it.  Maybe I just over tightened it?

Chryco Psycho

The correct 70 light bar is unique from all other years & is slightly thicker at the one end so yes I believe it is also slightly curved but & I am not 100% sure .
That sucks with the wrinkle , I would take to the maker of the pad , possibly it could be heated & shrunk .

70/6chall

Maybe this will help out. Thanks,   Al

anlauto

What are these grinding marks from ? Was it like that when you bought it ? 
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GoMangoBoys

The marks were there when I got the dashpad.  I assume they are from where the core was cleaned and prepped. 

Also, I am the one who trimmed the vinyl and foam on the underside in order to put the clips on to screw the light bar on.  Should the vinyl and foam tuck under the light bar, or should I have trimmed it back more so that it did not push up on the foam and vinyl?

anlauto

That's good, I thought maybe you went at it with a grinder to clean up the foam and possible caused heat build up...causing the issue on top....but that's not the case. :bigthumb:

You look like you've done a great job cleaning up the edge :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration