Main Menu

My CLOCK WORKS!!!

Started by nsmall, March 26, 2017, 04:46:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

My clock has decided to work after 2 years of nothing.

I didnt do anything, but its alive.

Dont laugh, but does it drain the battery? 

Also, my fan quit running and I ran my heat temp gun on it.  The heads were 230 and the block was 220.  It was only there for like 1 minute of driving.  Anything to worry about?

My fan is working again, the fuse was loose.  So in general, whats the "you are going to damage your engine temp?"

I have a mild built 340.

Thanks

Cuda Cody

There are two possible clocks in an E-Body.  Do you have a Standard dash or Rallye?  The Rallye Tic Toc clock uses a quick short to wind the clock and yes it will drain the battery over time.  No fast, but it will happen if given long enough.  Best to unhook the battery if you're going to store the vehicle long term.  Battery tenders can be an option depending on what type of battery you have.

Chryco Psycho

Often lubricating the clock mech really helps not sure why they would dry out after only 40 + years  :thinking:

nsmall

My gauges are Rallye.  The "pin" not sure how to describe it is broken 1/2 up so I cant adjust the time.  Assuming I can get a new one?

I drive the car about 15 miles once a week.  Any idea how long it takes to drain the battery?   Car always fires up right away. I have an good battery...optima and its new.
THANKS

Quote from: nsmall on March 26, 2017, 04:46:21 PM

Also, my fan quit running and I ran my heat temp gun on it.  The heads were 230 and the block was 220.  It was only there for like 1 minute of driving.  Anything to worry about?

My fan is working again, the fuse was loose.  So in general, whats the "you are going to damage your engine temp?"

I have a mild built 340.

Thanks

Cuda Cody

If you are driving the car every week you should be just fine.  The clock does not take much power at all to run.  Long term storage it can be a factor, but no big deal short term.

Quote from: nsmall on March 27, 2017, 12:25:14 PM
My gauges are Rallye.  The "pin" not sure how to describe it is broken 1/2 up so I cant adjust the time.  Assuming I can get a new one?

I drive the car about 15 miles once a week.  Any idea how long it takes to drain the battery?   Car always fires up right away. I have an good battery...optima and its new.
THANKS

Quote from: nsmall on March 26, 2017, 04:46:21 PM

I have a mild built 340.

Thanks

HP_Cuda

Divine intervention = go with it.

:D
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

340challconvert

Glad your clock still works.
My rallye clock was working before I disconnected the engine wiring to work on the engine compartment.  It's been awhile though. Hope it "keeps on ticking" !

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Wedg2Go

I hate mysteries when it come to something works, then it stops, then it works. You do everything in your power to make it work and nothing. Then one fine day, out of the sky blue, it is working perfectly. Car clocks are the perfect example and the replacements are "Never" cheap! Someone like myself milks the good fortune of it working once more and place hope against hope it runs a looooong time.

May it run like the wind for you, nsmall

As far as the battery goes, invest in a Battery Tender if the car sits for a long time. I place a little charge on mine, once a month for just a day or two, during the winter season. The low amperage charger will solve that discharged battery problem when spring rolls around, you go to start your ride and you inconveniently find the clock took enough for it not to start...  :yes:

1 Wild R/T

Clock.... Cool!! :twothumbsup:
Temp.... 220-230... No Worries at all.......  Nervous starts around 250 but real worry 260-270....

RUNCHARGER

Yes: I wouldn't worry about the temp. The clock probably won't run for long in my experience. Congrats on getting it running!
Sheldon

Jim AAR

To be honest, I don't know why anyone would ever leave there battery hooked up while the car is not in use, why take the risk of a short and then your car being a torch.

I have a marine connection terminal end on my negative battery cable, with a wing nut on top and always disconnect it when i'm not using the car.

The clock can easily be reset when you are going to use the car. The only downside is if you have a Non-Factory radio, because you will lose your presets.

My  :alan2cents:

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Jim AAR on November 11, 2017, 10:45:53 AM
To be honest, I don't know why anyone would ever leave there battery hooked up while the car is not in use, why take the risk of a short and then your car being a torch.

I have a marine connection terminal end on my negative battery cable, with a wing nut on top and always disconnect it when i'm not using the car.

The clock can easily be reset when you are going to use the car. The only downside is if you have a Non-Factory radio, because you will lose your presets.

My  :alan2cents:

Clearly you don't drive your car as often as some of us do....  When I'm in town it's normally out at least 2-3 times a week & at times I drive it daily... It's a car, the wiring is well sorted, it's not a roman candle....

Jim AAR

You are right I don't drive it alot, but how long do you think it takes me to open my hood and spin a wing nut off, What 45 seconds.....

Even though there should not be an issue, I tend to follow Murphy's Law on a car that is 47 years old or one that's been been completely taken apart and put pack together....

I for one do not want to take a chance on something that you worked your ass off on to keep nice or restored....

You can do whatever you want, it's your car and your money...

nsmall

BAD news.  I had my gauges restored and once I put the car back together I popped a fuse which was connected to the clock.  The clock wasn't restored.  I unhooked the clock and there's no more fuses popping so I'm just going to live without a clock. I'm pretty sure I can survive.