Main Menu

(Another) Seat ID Request

Started by 1970Cuda, July 28, 2022, 05:26:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1970Cuda

Hi All,

Back in 2016, I bought these seats at Carlisle, and purportedly these were billed as "1970 'Cuda Seats." Not really sure now and I can't find any thread that shows me exactly what are 1970s look like. I am sure someone on our site will know in like two seconds whether they are or not. Seems like these are Gran Coupe, but that's why I am posting them here for IDing. 

I am not yet ready to restore them, but getting within a year or so of doing it, so I figured I would bite the bullet get started planning on it. What's the bad news please ...
  :fingerscrossed:

B5fourspeed

Those seats are 70 Cuda.They have the correct side hinge covers.If the tracks are all there those seats are worth some money.

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  The 1970 hinge covers can bring good money!  Those look to be great seats to restore.  Nice find.  :ohyeah:

6bblgt

1970 Barracuda/'cuda H6X9 bucket seats that have had the inserts replaced with "houndstooth" cloth material decades ago

MoparCarGuy

An attempt to replicate the P5X9 seats available on AAR and Cuda but without the red welting and buttons.

1970Cuda

Wow, this is really good news to me and thanks a whole lot for responding to my inquiry. I would be sunk without all the great people on this site, their advice and experience. And thanks again Cody for starting this site and keeping it going for us! (I am sure it can be a hassle at times.)

So it looks like the tracks, especially on the LH side, are not in too good of shape. See pictures.

However, a few years back at Fall Fling at Woodley Park, CA, I picked up a bunch of seat rails and also a few hinge covers, so hopefully I can cobble together a good, clean set of everything - and most importantly a correct set - for my restoration project.

Oh and I meant to ask about the "houndstooth" insert - is that something I should do or was it like an "in" thing to do?

cuda hunter

In thing to do.  All depends upon your tastes. 
Gran coupe's were where most of those salt and pepper seats came out of.
Gran coupe's were the only cars to get the red piping on the doors like the picture moparcarguy provided. 
   I would suggest removing those rear seat covers and seeing if there is a build sheet in those seats.  That would shed a lot of light on what those seats were removed from.   
        Side not, I'm always looking for build sheets ;) ;)
This site has a build sheet section that the BS can be scanned and uploaded to.  Lots of information there if your into numbers. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

Bad news would be that you need to order your seat covers from Legendary now as apparently the turn around is a significant amount of time.  If you are doing these seats next year the time frame works out just right. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

1970Cuda

Great information everyone - I hadn't heard about the H6X9 (or H5X9) houndstooth insert design. Thanks 6bblgt and MoparCarGuy for the background and for the pictures too. It really adds a nice touch to the standard - and I think somewhat understated - black interior that my car came with I am pretty sure. I had only a few interior items, arguably the most important items (dash and such). (I don't have the build sheet and I don't think the interior is listed on the fender tag, except for the color, correct?)

My only thought is whether that houndstooth cloth is hard to keep clean.

"cuda hunter:" I will definitely remove the covers and see if there's a build sheet underneath. If so, I will re-post it here and also upload it as you suggested. And yeah, I am all about the numbers for sure - the only caveat being whether it's cost prohibitive (for me) during the restoration. I was looking for a set of Deluxe '70 Seatbelts and those are impossible to find. Mine came with the standard seatbelts, but the Deluxe look so much better.

I'll remove those covers over the next day or so and see what I find. It would be really awesome to reunite someone's build sheet with their car.

And great reminder to get a move-on on ordering my seat covers from Legendary. I thought I read on e-bodies.org where someone mentioned that the company had 8,000 orders in the pipeline. Does anyone know whether Roseville Moparts will handle Legendary? I always like to throw them business. Thanks again everyone for you knowledge.

:worship:

6bblgt

the interior code is on the fender tag  :takealook:
H6X9 is the BLACK vinyl
P5X9 is the BLACK vinyl with BLACK & WHITE "houndstooth" cloth inserts & RED piping

Mr Cuda

Since this thread has devolved into a gran coupe only seat thread, here's a shameless plug for my back seat.
Only suggestion of value is from cudahunter @ $175 and I'd just use it as a core to recover at that price
https://forum.e-bodies.org/whats-it-worth/15/gran-coupe-back-seat/24582/

1970Cuda

PM sent on Rear Seat Core Mr. Cuda.

Also, I am adding my fender tag and looks like my 'Cuda just came with the boring, standard H6X9 seats. I guess I forgot that it was included on the tag.

Any suggestions on who to go through for my Legendary interior. Also, does any make a superior seat of foam seat?