Main Menu

OEM center speaker

Started by nsmall, April 11, 2017, 09:53:07 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

Long story short....I accidentally ordered a new center speaker.  Are they any good? Do they sound good?  Last well? I would rather return it.  Im not looking for something that blows away the neighbors.  I just like to play some classic rock.  Thanks

http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm

If you scroll down they have some Chrysler ones that supposedly can be snipped to fit.

I'm not looking for an original restoration and I have an after-market CD player.

My current speaker works but as far as I know it's was installed about 20 years ago. Thanks

Cuda Cody

Finding a speaker that fits in the dash is the hard part.  There's been a couple good threads on speaker options I think?

In the past I have had originals re-coned and they work okay.  @cataclysm80  has suggested a company that looks really good.  I will try them next time I need a speaker.

https://forum.e-bodies.org/electrical-and-audio/11/what-speakers-did-you-install/1165/

https://forum.e-bodies.org/interior/6/centre-speaker-need-a-measurement/549/15

Chryco Psycho

I used a hidden amp & a pair of Cerwin Vega rear speakers so I can plug in a MP3 all hidden & it has a tunable fm receiver built in also

Aracer

I know your looking for concourse installations. Not important to me. I found some 4X10" 8 ohm speakers at Radio shack similar to stock. I use that center for the two way radio. The front dash stereo speakers have been replaced twice. I used vise grips and snips to open up for a 3" magnet. The rear has replaced / 3 way Pioneer, brand not important. I have amp EQ. for the fader between. It's as loud as usable.  Open the trunk and party! The package tray, has the speaker covers over the paper grill. People in the back seat always want them off. Alone I fade the fronts in for separation. Turbos out back mostly negate the radio when running. So the old cassette is used for an IPOD / tape adapter, or old cassettes. Mine was ordered with rear speakers and Motorola stereo FM, it had the fader knob and three way front. It did not sound as good as now. Tiny magnets from the factory always got over driven by the radio's 4 transistor pills. The radio is sill good after I soaked, by electronic spray, the pots. My guess it's 50 watts per channel RMS, by the way it drives the rear's @ 100 peak watts each.

Burdar

There is/was a guy on a few different sites selling a dual speaker bracket.  I bought one for my Dart.  The bracket bolts in place of the stock center speaker.  Then, you can buy (2) aftermarket 4"(I think) two way speakers and attach to that bracket.  You can buy as cheap or expensive a speaker as you want to fit that bracket.  If you want me to find the guys contact info let me know.

EDIT: The speaker brackets are for 3.5" speakers.  I think I mounted 4" on the bottom side of my bracket.  3.5" should fit in the holes from the top.

303 Mopar

Quote from: Burdar on July 28, 2017, 02:11:27 PM
There is/was a guy on a few different sites selling a dual speaker bracket.  I bought one for my Dart.  The bracket bolts in place of the stock center speaker.  Then, you can buy (2) aftermarket 4"(I think) two way speakers and attach to that bracket.  You can buy as cheap or expensive a speaker as you want to fit that bracket.  If you want me to find the guys contact info let me know.

I'd be interested in his contact info, thanks!

Shoooter

Cool idea wirh the bracket

Burdar

I found his info.  His name is Jerry Landes and goes by "74 Sport" on fabo and moparts.  I'm posting the link to his order form.  However, I'm not sure he's still selling these.  I have his email but instead of posting that here, I emailed him.  If/when I hear back, I'll let you know.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScAuyjUvyLdZ6xewczDPGiCzsnjV6PLcVKnSc0ro8A42A2sZw/viewform?embedded=true&formkey=dE1hd25tNEpnOGlkcWVtNm5LakMyT1E6MQ

Chryco Psycho

I am sure Brad can make you one easily !!

Bullitt-

From what I understand the bracket can have clearance problems on e-bodies on the right side.
This may be dependent on the size of the speakers
I made my own bracket and had to offset the right side toward the middle to have adequate clearance for some very deep piezo horn tweeters
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

RUNCHARGER

If you just want a dash speaker that works I got them at a place called Princess Auto in Canada. The size fits a lot of tractors apparently.
Sheldon

Burdar

I heard back from Jerry.  Yes, he still sells the speaker brackets.  You an order one through the link I provided earlier.

You can build them yourself however, these are pretty inexpensive.  I figured by the time I drove somewhere to get the metal, design a template, cut out the material exc... it was just easier to buy it.