Main Menu

Picture of center speaker grill for 1970 Cuda/Challengers

Started by 71GranCoupe, January 23, 2017, 02:05:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

71GranCoupe

I am looking for pictures of the front center speaker grill for the 1970 E Body cars. I have heard they are different than the later years. I have 2 early 71's and they seem to be the same as the 70's so maybe someone will have pictures they can share for all us who are unsure what the differences are. thx  :thankyou:

Cuda Cody

Was talking with David at Roseville about this and I'm not sure I've ever seen a difference.  I want to know this too!  Maybe step one is to get the part numbers and see if they are different.... then see if we can find the two different grilles with those part numbers.

Finoke

A friend this weekend told me 70 is different than later years.  One is a little taller than the other. But he wasnt sure which one. Not sure if this is correct.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

anlauto

The 1970 Challenger has shorter posts in the corners then 1971-74. I can't say with 100% certainty whether Cuda is the same or not, but I can't see why it wouldn't be  :alan2cents: :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

headejm

Cuda Cody

Okay, so that's a 1970 Challenger?  I'll check what I have in the parts inventory when I get home and see what part numbers are on them and see if we can find the difference.  :slapme5:

71GranCoupe

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 23, 2017, 02:35:12 PM
Okay, so that's a 1970 Challenger?  I'll check what I have in the parts inventory when I get home and see what part numbers are on them and see if we can find the difference.  :slapme5:

Thanks for all the input so far. Wonder why shorter posts were not used in the later ones? Thinner dash pads?? One other aspect that may as well look at is colored grills. I have no clue as to the application, but now the door is open, we might as well look at it. I do have an orange one with the same numbers as the one above. So, did later years have colored grills or were they all black? Here is an orange grill.

anlauto

There were no burnt orange ones in the later years of course, but they still came in black, blue, green, gold,
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

71GranCoupe

:thankyou: :cheers:

Quote from: anlauto on January 23, 2017, 02:54:34 PM
There were no burnt orange ones in the later years of course, but they still came in black, blue, green, gold,

cataclysm80

Only the center speaker grill for the 70 Challenger is unique.  The others are the same.
The difference is in the height of the legs on the grill.

The outboard stereo speakers are also unique for 70 Challenger. 
It's all just caused by a different shaped dash pad.

71GranCoupe

Quote from: cataclysm80 on January 23, 2017, 06:33:28 PM
Only the center speaker grill for the 70 Challenger is unique.  The others are the same.
The difference is in the height of the legs on the grill.

The outboard stereo speakers are also unique for 70 Challenger. 
It's all just caused by a different shaped dash pad.

All good information, but now you created another question on the outer grills. Mainly being,what is the difference on the Challenger vs the Cuda's then? :clueless:

Cuda Cody

I had 2 different part number grilles in my box of parts.  2884-028  &  2884-783.

71GranCoupe

Thanks Cody. It looks like one could shorten the two longer standoffs so they would work on a 70 if need be.  :thinking:

Cuda Cody

It's a different part number, but I can not say for sure it has not been modified.  It looked like it was original though.   :alan2cents:  Glad this was brought up!

Spikedog08

All good information . . . so it has been confirmed that the 70 challenger grill is different!   :bigthumb:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!