Main Menu

Rallye dash are they worth the headache

Started by RJChallenger, May 22, 2018, 06:58:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RJChallenger

I  have a 70 challenger. I started buying parts  38 years ago, if you needed a couple of parts you bought a parts car for $300 or so. Kept the parts you needed and scraped the rest of it. " ALL I WANTED WAS A TACH FOR THE DASH". So I bought a 73 rallye challenger stripped the dash and switches,wiring harness and took the wiper motor. I put all this stuff on shelving in the garage. Fast forward 3 1/2 decades. I find out you have to switch the linkage , crank arm etc etc. Today these cars are desirable to restorers and collectors. You cant have this and that from just any year, it looks stupid and wrong NOW I cant afford to finish the conversion to 3spd wipers and I cant afford to switch back. Thanks for letting me vent a little. There's a mopar event this coming weekend hopefully i can find something there at a reasonable price.

Rich G.

Rally gauges has nothing to do with the wipers! You really only have to run a tach wire and spice your idiot light wires to the gauges. Now if you change from a 2speed wiper to a 3 speed you'll have to change the linkage. Use your original harness and switches and your good to go. You'll have to change the lower dash trim piece also if you're just putting in the gauge cluster.

RJChallenger

That's very interesting. I never thought  about keeping the two speed setup. I naturally thought about the rallye dash and three speed wipers as a matched set. I think I might just try and make a deal/trade for a new 2 spd wiper motor, and keep the rallye cluster. the rest of the wiper system has only been used for ten years mint.

ratroaster

Make it to your liking and don't care what everyone thinks or buy a chevy.....very simple.......

dodj

I sometimes wonder why some people spend a lot of time and $$ on variable or three speed wiper conversions for cars that are rarely or never taken out in the rain....
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: dodj on May 23, 2018, 06:06:44 PM
I sometimes wonder why some people spend a lot of time and $$ on variable or three speed wiper conversions for cars that are rarely or never taken out in the rain....

Really?  I live in California where it don't rain much... Yet somehow in the last twenty years somehow I've been caught in at least 30 downpours.... Some that have lasted 200+ miles....  The all time worst being when the car was less than a year old driving home from "The March Meet" absolutely pouring rain & somewhere ahead of me a truck hauling chickens was losing it's load... Chicken bombs in the road every couple miles from around Visalia to Livingston....

But then again RainX has saved my butt many times...

RUNCHARGER

I couldn't drive a car if the wipers didn't work. It would just drive me nuts. Another thing that would drive me nuts is driving behind that big cyclops speedometer when I knew it was possible to have the cool rally gauge option. Yes, it's worth it.
Sheldon

dodj

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 23, 2018, 06:55:13 PM
I couldn't drive a car if the wipers didn't work. It would just drive me nuts.
I didn't say wipers that didn't work. My two speed wipers work fine. I was questioning the value of spending a lot of $$ so you have three speeds instead of two when most people try to keep them out of the rain.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Fern

I have variable speed wipers.
Dumbest wipers ever invented.