Main Menu

rallye dash housing

Started by realn96, January 08, 2018, 11:19:56 AM

Previous topic Next topic

71-440

Joe

C_B5

Quote from: HEMICUDA on January 10, 2018, 08:21:50 AM
The "tunnels" are textured paint.  That's the only part of the housing that was painted and not bare plastic.  That was done so there wasn't any glare coming off the smooth bare plastic.  SEM does work very well.

Not certain that all of the rallye dashes for the 1970 model year had the textured paint inside the gauge openings or " tunnels" especially on very early 1969 built cars.
On the 1971-74 models agree 100% that ALL of the housings have the textured paint.
Probably a factory change after the initial launch similar to how the 66-67 Charger dashes were changed.

I have two original 1970 rallye set-ups and the one (from Sept 1969 build date) has no traces of the textured paint anywhere. Yes I know that the paint can wear or peel off but this dash housing was removed over 30 years ago and stored. When I have a chance will post a photo.

Cuda Cody

Welcome @C_B5   :welcome:  Thanks for sharing your experiences and joining us.

realn96

Welcome c b5. :welcome:
I don't doubt it. My car does happen to be A 71 . And I did repaint the tunnels on the texture d paint that I had left over from painting the dash and steering column. Came out great  :banana:

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: C_B5 on January 19, 2018, 07:26:55 AM
Quote from: HEMICUDA on January 10, 2018, 08:21:50 AM
The "tunnels" are textured paint.  That's the only part of the housing that was painted and not bare plastic.  That was done so there wasn't any glare coming off the smooth bare plastic.  SEM does work very well.

Not certain that all of the rallye dashes for the 1970 model year had the textured paint inside the gauge openings or " tunnels" especially on very early 1969 built cars.
On the 1971-74 models agree 100% that ALL of the housings have the textured paint.
Probably a factory change after the initial launch similar to how the 66-67 Charger dashes were changed.

I have two original 1970 rallye set-ups and the one (from Sept 1969 build date) has no traces of the textured paint anywhere. Yes I know that the paint can wear or peel off but this dash housing was removed over 30 years ago and stored. When I have a chance will post a photo.

Welcome Chas! 

C_B5

Thanks Randy
Are you still rolling up miles on the challenger convertible?

C_B5

Here are some photos of an original rallye dash bezel that doesn't have any texture paint inside the gauge opening.
It was tough to capture a good photo of inside the tunnel so hopefully these will show the smooth surface