Main Menu

Convertible rear panel

Started by FC7 cuda, March 25, 2017, 12:52:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cataclysm80

Could a person buy a Metro set and cut them and bend them to the correct shape with a heat gun?
The convertible panels are smaller, not bigger right?

Jay Bee

Quote from: cataclysm80 on March 27, 2017, 09:23:46 AM
Could a person buy a Metro set and cut them and bend them to the correct shape with a heat gun?
Even if you could make it fit there's still the situation with the molded arm rest, hardtops had it, convertible didn't.

cudaized

Thought I would put this out there:

There are people working on creating a superior rear convertible panel as a reproduction.
4 years....maybe?
I am a nit picky critic of any reproduction part. I will not offer an inferior part.

Quote from: YYZ on March 26, 2017, 06:09:27 AM
FWIW a long time ago (mid 1990s) Jeff Bobst and his colleague James prototyped some very nice rear panels for 'Cuda convertible.
1970 `cuda340 convertible 4-speed Rallye Red with Red interior cudaized.com 1970-71 Plymouth and Dodge E-Body Convertible Registry ebodyconvertibleregistry.com

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: cudaized on July 17, 2017, 11:46:27 AM
Thought I would put this out there:

There are people working on creating a superior rear convertible panel as a reproduction.
4 years....maybe?
I am a nit picky critic of any reproduction part. I will not offer an inferior part.

Cuda only?   Or Challenger too? 

superdave

:woohoo: I would be intrested in two sets of white and one set in black for Challenger!  :ohyeah:   :) f

HEMICUDA

If "real" panels were made by the same manufacturer that did the "real" panels Metro originally made for the hard tops, what would you pay for that type of quality and correctness?  Injected molded with the same original type material as the panels that are currently available, not the vacuum formed junk that's been available for years. 

Lets face it, vacuum forming is a poor mans way to produce anything and they look like it, awful.  The cost for real tooling to make these panels the same as they were back in the day is cost prohibitive.  With that said, what would the market bare, cost wise, for a very expensive part to produce for an extremely small market? That's the rub, pricing.

I can see, maybe, selling 200 sets of Cuda and maybe 200 Challenger, offering only black or white.  Would you be willing to pay, say, $1,295 or more for perfect rear convertible panels?  I would, all day.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: HEMICUDA on January 06, 2018, 01:39:56 PM
If "rear" panels were made by the same manufacturer that did the "real" panels Metro originally made for the hard tops, what would you pay for that type of quality and correctness?  Injected molded with the same original type material as the panels that are currently available, not the vacuum formed junk that's been available for years. 

Lets face it, vacuum forming is a poor mans way to produce anything and they look like it, awful.  The cost for real tooling to make these panels the same as they were back in the day is cost prohibitive.  With that said, what would the market bare, cost wise, for a very expensive part to produce for an extremely small market? That's the rub, pricing.

I can see, maybe, selling 200 sets of Cuda and maybe 200 Challenger, offering only black or white.  Would you be willing to pay, say, $1,295 or more for perfect rear convertible panels?  I would, all day.

As much as I'm cheap & would like to spend less where do I send my check?  There just is no option... I've lived with crappy panels  for 25 years, it's the single biggest disappointment of my car.... If I could get rear panels I'd get front too but with no chance my current panels would match what I have I've had no reason to buy the door panels...

Jay Bee

It would hurt but I'd pay that (FYI: about $1,700.00 CDN) for a white pair, especially since there's a set of Metro door panels in my basement just waiting for the rears. Remember the card from way back when, maybe that should be posted in the "Funny pictures..." thread.

HEMICUDA

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on January 06, 2018, 01:58:46 PM
If "rear" panels were made by the same manufacturer that did the "real" panels Metro originally made for the hard tops, what would you pay for that type of quality and correctness?  Injected molded with the same original type material as the panels that are currently available, not the vacuum formed junk that's been available for years. 

As much as I'm cheap & would like to spend less where do I send my check?  There just is no option... I've lived with crappy panels  for 25 years, it's the single biggest disappointment of my car.... If I could get rear panels I'd get front too but with no chance my current panels would match what I have I've had no reason to buy the door panels...

There still is hope.  ;)

anlauto

I don't think they will fly off the shelves at $1295....maybe better at $995.....
Out of all the convertibles built....with a good number in the hands of people who would consider paying that price, there's a larger number that would say no-way  :bigmoney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

71vert340

I'd buy a set as spares for my Challenger although mine are in great shape. I remember in 1984, I lived in Bremerton, Washington and I had a set of mint white convertible Challenger rear panels. Ben Snobar heard that I had them and drove up to talk to me about them. I think I paid $50 for them and I planned  to use them in my 70 Challenger R/T convertible so I could cut speaker holes in my original ones which were scratched. Ben asked me what I wanted for them. I said they weren't for sale. He again asked me to name my price. I told him $200 and he pulls out his wallet and pays for them. I felt bad until he told me he already had them sold for $350. I sure miss Ben; he always paid a fair price when dealing with me.
Terry

HEMICUDA

Quote from: anlauto on January 06, 2018, 04:04:47 PM
I don't think they will fly off the shelves at $1295....maybe better at $995.....
Out of all the convertibles built....with a good number in the hands of people who would consider paying that price, there's a larger number that would say no-way  :bigmoney:

I buddy of mine has 5 Cuda convertibles and his famous saying is " a working man can't afford a convertible."

anlauto

Quote from: HEMICUDA on January 06, 2018, 05:11:55 PM
Quote from: anlauto on January 06, 2018, 04:04:47 PM

I buddy of mine has 5 Cuda convertibles and his famous saying is " a working man can't afford a convertible."

That's VERY true. especially with the 71 Cudas  :bigmoney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MoparDave

see new post about convertible rear panels to match the current "metro" door panels and our kick panels.

***stay tuned*** :)
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

filmsurgeon

If "real" panels were made by the same manufacturer that did the "real" panels Metro originally made for the hard tops, what would you pay for that type of quality and correctness?  Injected molded with the same original type material as the panels that are currently available, not the vacuum formed junk that's been available for years. 

I wouldn't hesitate to pay $1,300 for a pair.