Main Menu

Rear window leak

Started by CudaMoparRay, December 07, 2018, 07:18:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

CudaMoparRay

How easy or hard is it to fix a rear window leak?
It seems the rains showed this problem when a car wash did not.
It leaks into the trunk area around the speakers area.
They could not see any obvious cracks or openings
Thanks

jimynick

Back in the day, we used to draw straws to see who went into the trunk with a good light while we ran a hose over any and all suspected spots. You can also mix some dish soap into water in a spray bottle and squirt around the window. Using two people, one goes inside with a compressed air line and blow gun and blows around the inner edges. If the leak's bad, it'll bubble outside where it's leaking. Look very closely at the seams where the upper trunk panel and 1/4's meet; the classic trunk leak is usually in one of them. Good luck
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

blown motor

Mine will leak in a good rain also. It's on the right side. Can you pull the trim and lay a bead of silicone along there?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

Have a glass company pull the rear glass, clean and reseal properly  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

All E-Body's leaked in the trunk, in fact I think there was a code on the fender tag for it. LKTNK :D

shawge

Careful with using silicone as some of them create acetic acid during the curing process which will lead to rust.   :alan2cents:
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

jimynick

I'd combine Alan's suggestion with a good quality seam sealer to avoid the acetic acid thing. If you tell the glass guys what's up, they will probably seal anything they see that they suspect. Good luck!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

RUNCHARGER

You might want to have a real good look at the window channel using a good light and a mirror.
Sheldon

70/6chall

Well! You could always open up the trunk lid, lay inside and breakout the Flex Seal. LOL
Thanks,   Al

Claudia

Quote from: CudaMoparRay on December 07, 2018, 07:18:54 PM
I could not see any obvious cracks or openings.
Thanks

Some good advise has been given thus far about how to try and ensure that you seal all of the leaks or possible prone to leak areas.  :alan2cents: this is a do it yourself job.  Once you have the glass out, it's pretty much downhill from there.  Time and patience are the only things needed to ensure that the glass is sealed / set at the proper height to ensure that the window moldings are flush with the body once all is installed.

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: Claudia on December 10, 2018, 12:15:27 PM
Quote from: CudaMoparRay on December 07, 2018, 07:18:54 PM
I could not see any obvious cracks or openings.
Thanks

Some good advise has been given thus far about how to try and ensure that you seal all of the leaks or possible prone to leak areas.  :alan2cents: this is a do it yourself job.  Once you have the glass out, it's pretty much downhill from there.  Time and patience are the only things needed to ensure that the glass is sealed / set at the proper height to ensure that the window moldings are flush with the body once all is installed.

Great pictures giving a better idea on what to do, thanks