Main Menu

Rear view mirror

Started by blown motor, March 13, 2017, 03:17:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

What is the proper colour for the base and the post of the mirror on a 74 Challenger? Mine seems to be a rather flat black for the base but gloss black for the post. I'm thinking fo going trim black for the base, not sure about the post.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Cuda Cody

The mirror in 1970 was different with the way it switched from daytime to nighttime, but I thought all the bases were silver?   :notsure:

anlauto

I think the post should be silver, but we need @Burdar on this later stuff
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

blown motor

I've seen mirrors at swap meets with black base and silver post but of course don't know what year they are. I think 70 and 71 had a little side to side toggle for day and night. The rest had a black squarish lever that works up and down.

Burdar

https://www.picclickimg.com/00/s/NzQ5WDk5OQ==/z/9nQAAOSwjDZYjr6V/$/Used-1972-1973-1974-Challenger-Interior-Rear-View-_57.jpg
The link isn't working right.  Copy the entire thing and paste it into another window.

The base is black.  I used SEM Trim Black on mine.  I use Trim Black on all the metal interior trim.  Did the sun visors clip onto the rear view mirror base in 70-71?  The later years don't.

The post is some kind of plating.  I wish I had my Challenger here to look at.  I know my Dart post is a satin nickel chrome.  I thought my Challenger was a little different color but it might be the same.  I don't remember if I had to do anything with the post or if it was in good shape.  If you need to paint yours, MP Rallye wheel argent paint would be a decent choice I think.  That's what I might have done to mine.  It seems familiar.

Cuda Cody

Nice Job Burdar!   Here's his photo.

Burdar

I just found that pic online.  The plating is very thin and as you can see, rusts pretty easily.

jimynick

Murray, do you want me to look at mine? It's kinda like it's owner- old and worn, but it's never been messed with. Let me know!  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

nsmall

Blown Motor.  You know me so I hope you dont mind me doing a little hi-jacking.

My rear view mirror easily moves.  Heck, if I hit a bump the mirror moves some.

Any suggestions?  Does it have any adjustment in it?

Thanks,

Neil

Cuda Cody

Yes, you can take it apart and tighten the screws inside.

Quote from: nsmall on March 13, 2017, 09:49:54 PM

Thanks,

Neil

blown motor

Quote from: Cuda Cody on March 13, 2017, 10:08:07 PM
Yes, you can take it apart and tighten the screws inside.

Quote from: nsmall on March 13, 2017, 09:49:54 PM

Thanks,

Neil

:iagree: There are three screws under the base that hold a plate over the ball. Perhaps they've come loose. If it's moving on the ball on the back of the mirror then I'm not sure yet. I want to try to take that apart to clean up that ball but I'm not sure how it comes apart.

blown motor

I have SEM trim black and that's what I was going to use on the base. I used some silver caliper paint (because that's what I had and it was a good match) on the steering wheel cap and the sunvisor mounting hardware so I think I'll use the same on the post. It might not be a perfect match but at least it will be consistent throughout. I also have some dark silver argent that I used on the tail light buckets but it has some texture to it and I'm not sure that's correct.

Ian if you want to check for me that would be good. Thanks.

Burdar

The only issue with painting the entire post, is that when you adjust the mirror, the paint will rub off of the ball end.

QuoteThere are three screws under the base that hold a plate over the ball.

Correct, there are three screws on top of the mounting bracket that hold a metal plate above the ball. With that plate removed, the post should come out of the base.  If the screws are tight but the post is still loose, you can "adjust" the plate with a hammer so that it puts a little more pressure on the ball.  That should take care of it.

blown motor

I was going to mask the ball and not paint it. Do you know how to get the ball out of the mirror itself? It would make it easier to clean it up. Otherwise I'll just get it as best I can with it still in the mirror.

Burdar

No, not sure if you can take the actual mirror apart.