Main Menu

Repair or replace A/C defrost door in the A/C box (also aftermarket heater core)

Started by Duodec, May 27, 2024, 01:56:48 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Duodec

My current subproject is rebuilding the A/C box from my '71 Challenger.  Its been partly disassembled for years, now I'm taking it down to components to clean and rebuild pending decision on a heater core.

The defrost door has a small tab welded to it that the vacuum actuator connects to; that tab broke off (not sure but I might have done it during disassembly).  The tab is flat L shape with the long back spot welded to the door and the bottom of the L broke off.

Is there any vendor specializing in (presumably) used parts for A/C on these cars that might have this door in working shape?

I've got no welding capability and won't until we move due to HOA and no space.  The Q&D option I can see would be to grind off the remaining part of the tab from the defrost door, make a new one from spare metal and rivet it into place. 

Anyone think that one of the handheld spot welders used to weld rechargeable batteries onto strips for solar battery banks would be strong enough for this application? The tab bracket is pretty light metal and I could get away with an unobtrusive tool like that.

Second question.  Although the original heater core is still good I'm not going to risk using it unless it gets rebuilt (Glen Ray?).  I have a third party one I bought from OReilly about 10 years ago, made in mexico (at least its not chinese).  Is that third party unit likely to be an exact fit and no problems, and decent lifetime? 

Thanks!

Katfish

Skdmark

What about a little JB Weld?
Otherwise replace with a good used part (ebay, Tony's, parts wanted or swap)

I had Glen-ray redo my heater core and evaporator at the same time. Not cheap, but I didn't want to have worry about pulling it back out amd repalacing a second time.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

EV2RTSE

@Duodec If you could post a picture of the door in question I can check and see if I have an extra one, my original box was broken so i took it apart and kept everything for spares and located another used box to rebuild. Going to start on that soon. As far as the aftermarket heater cores go I've heard of complaints about them not fitting right but usually coming from posts about the non-a/c cores. I don't know if the a/c ones are any better or worse in that regard. May have to just try what you have and see :dunno: I'm looking to either pressure test and reuse an original or have it redone myself.

@Skdmark If you wouldn't mind posting or PMing with what they charged for the evap and heater core rebuild I'd appreciate it, I see from their website it varies on a case by case basis but I'd be interested in a ballpark. There's a local old-school radiator shop here that I'm going to check on as well.

Skdmark

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

Duodec

Quote from: EV2RTSE on May 27, 2024, 05:58:27 PM@Duodec If you could post a picture of the door in question I can check and see if I have an extra one, my original box was broken so i took it apart and kept everything for spares and located another used box to rebuild. Going to start on that soon. As far as the aftermarket heater cores go I've heard of complaints about them not fitting right but usually coming from posts about the non-a/c cores. I don't know if the a/c ones are any better or worse in that regard. May have to just try what you have and see :dunno: I'm looking to either pressure test and reuse an original or have it redone myself.

@Skdmark If you wouldn't mind posting or PMing with what they charged for the evap and heater core rebuild I'd appreciate it, I see from their website it varies on a case by case basis but I'd be interested in a ballpark. There's a local old-school radiator shop here that I'm going to check on as well.

Quote from: EV2RTSE on May 27, 2024, 05:58:27 PM@Duodec If you could post a picture of the door in question I can check and see if I have an extra one, my original box was broken so i took it apart and kept everything for spares and located another used box to rebuild. Going to start on that soon. As far as the aftermarket heater cores go I've heard of complaints about them not fitting right but usually coming from posts about the non-a/c cores. I don't know if the a/c ones are any better or worse in that regard. May have to just try what you have and see :dunno: I'm looking to either pressure test and reuse an original or have it redone myself.

Thanks!  Based on the responses above and some additional research I am less concerned about my ability to patch this together; just today we took down a bunch of window curtain brackets and some of them look like they'l be easy to mod into a new bracket, using a rivet or two and JB Weld.  But a factory piece would be a better alternative if available.

Door and actuator (with the broken-off part) pics:

Rich G.

I've used a few aftermarket heater cores in both a/c and non a/c and they do work with a little tweaking and trimming at times. But knock on wood no leaks!

Duodec

Quote from: Rich G. on May 29, 2024, 09:58:35 AMI've used a few aftermarket heater cores in both a/c and non a/c and they do work with a little tweaking and trimming at times. But knock on wood no leaks!

I should be able to both vacuum and pressure test the core and the evaporator before rebuilding the A/C box; I'm more concerned about any fitment issues with the aftermarket core.  Got to dig them out of storage for test fits since the housing itself is almost completed on cleaning.

Duodec

I pulled the heater core out of storage and found three; the original and two aftermarket ones.  I only remember buying one replacement, a Murray brand from O'Reilly in 2013, found the receipt, but there was another plain box one with no ID.  They look like progressive cheapening has occurred.  The factory unit has more frame metal including a shield on one side of the core and cleanly punched holes in the brackets.  It also has a larger core in the long dimension than either of the two replacements by about 3/8".  One replacement has all the same mounting holes, and the second has different shape on the supporting metal and some of the holes look out of place.

I can't test fit it now, that half of the housing is mid-cleaning.  Pics coming

Duodec

This is the factory core; no leaks but I want it restored before assembling the A/C box.  I called Glen Ray but they're at the Mopar show so I need to wait until next week to find out cost and turnaround time.  There may be nothing wrong with the aftermarket cores but the quality difference is noticeable, especially on the second aftermarket unit.  Note the full size core, the tanks are covered by the mounting plate, and the 'shield' of metal that comes up one side of the core.  Neither aftermarket unit has those features.

Duodec

Aftermarket core 1.  Holes seem to match, no metal shield up the core, the core is smaller and the tanks are pulled inward from the mounting sheet metal at the top.  The pipes are not lined up very well either.

Duodec

Last one, aftermarket core 2.  Holes don't all match, no metal shield up the core, the core is smaller and the tanks are pulled inward from the mounting sheet metal at the top and bottom.  The pipes are not lined up very well either.