Main Menu

Repairing wasted door panels and textured plastic.

Started by Mr Cuda, March 24, 2022, 06:02:42 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Duodec

That is really impressive how well the finish turns out; not original but still eminently acceptable if you're not going for 100% originality

I have a set of white Metro panels I bought years ago tucked away in storage (for H6XW interior); my car spent enough years in the Las Vegas sunshine that the upper edges of the panels are toast; I don't know if the worst parts have enough non-brittle material left to try what you are doing but it looks like its worth a shot to have nice usable spares.

YellowThumper

Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

larry4406

Those look fantastic!

Can't wait to see how you patch speaker holes and what material is used to close the hole.

Might have to send you some panels for repair!

Mr Cuda

As the saying goes,  I am all in. My convert panels arrived from Ola,  and they were as pictured  and described,  not better,  (darn!).
The only benefit is that the speaker holes are for 4x10, not 6x9 like mine. That means the speaker hole is on a more flat area, mine were cut into the bowl.
Heating and forming  PP plastic is tough  as it wants to burn when you get to the melty stage.  I will actually use my heat gun for this. Normally on a bumper cover, I go straight to the propane torch because it's quick.
I will get my contour gauge to measure the curve, and harvest a repair peice from an old door panel.

anlauto

Is your car power windows, or are you going to fix that as well ? :popcorn:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mr Cuda

Fixing speaker holes makes fixing switch holes look like child's play.  Although,  I probably won't put the raised boss around the crank hole.  The tall window crank collar will hide it once together.

floorit426

Slightly off topic and I apologize but, once the proper texture is dialed in, could this method be used on dashes? There seems to be so much guesswork involved, in getting a dash properly redone these days, that seems as if it would be a good alternative, That is, assuming the dash isn't too far gone.

larry4406

@MR Cuda - wow!

Watching along for details. I've got a pair of vert panels that were also speaker holed.

Next holy grail - wood grain inserts for panels.  You got a solution?

Mr Cuda

It's like a shiny new toy to play with.
Cut the first patch part from the top edge of a door.
When heated, the patch wants  to potato chip on you.
I learned from doing collision repair, that after heating plastic bumpers, to use a hammer and dolly on them to relax the set in the plastic.
So I heated the patch peice till shiny, (yes, I used my torch. Said I wouldn't), and hammered on the ground till flat. Used my cardboard template to cut out.
Couple of gaps on fitup don't matter,  heated a nail to poke a hole and ran screws thru to hold it.

Mr Cuda

Thanks for the vote of confidence  Larry, but it's not done yet.
What about bending and trimming a sedan insert,  and if red, a faux finish?
Dabs of mystery glue to hold, then pull the screws out and keep going.

Mr Cuda

After scrubbing oxidized plastic for longer than I wanted,  I prepped, and  primed the panel. I haven't finished the left panel,  so I will wait till it's done to texture them.
Then, good or bad, they will match each other.
Had a heart attack when I found my texture product was no longer available locally.
I had to buy a case.
I have another pair of white panels to do, and white,  so you know they are crumbly.
But I will have product for you adventureist soles who want to attack their's.
So far, looks like no one does.

YellowThumper

Silently following along with your progress.
Thank you for posting your journey. I for sure will be referencing it in the future with mine.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Mr Cuda

Been a while

Mr Cuda

Finally,  2 in the sun with the original  to compare

I am glad to have this massive undertaking done. I wish  could have just spent money,  but even at $2000, they all have dry rot and chalking. Now when the dog scratches them,  I can just repair them.

Cuda_mark

I would say that your repaired ones look just as good as my re-dyed originals that had good plastic. I might ship you a set of crusty ones!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk