Main Menu

Replacing Seat Track Stud?

Started by mtull, December 08, 2023, 12:11:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

mtull

I have a inner seat track (next to trans tunnel) with one broken stud. Rather than buying new tracks I'd really like to try and fix what I have.  Has anyone tried pressing ( out / in ) a seat track stud?  IF so, what tools did you use? I was wondering if a 1 or 3 ton arbor press would work to get the old stud out but how would you then press it back in?  Perhaps use a bolt to pull it back into the square hole?

Any advice appreciated
M.

R/T's 4 R/P

Yes, you can Press it out with an arbor press.
I Support the backside with a spacer that has been modified. Of course, the inner diameter of the spacer needs to be slightly larger than the head of the stud. But, because the stud is close to a vertical wall you need to cut about 20% away of the wall of the spacer.

As far as replacing it, you can get a carriage bolt and grind down the head a bit. The square on the carriage bolt will be slightly smaller than the original, so it will spin when you tighten the nut on the stud. So, I just add a small tack weld to keep it in place.
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

Floyd

Replacements are available.  I had to tack weld  one in-place since the square opening on the seat track was slightly buggered.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363017193556?

mtull

Thank you @R/T's 4 R/P, @Floyd for the info and eBay link.  I'll give it a go after the Holidays and let you know how it goes.

anlauto

I've tried this, but could never get the new stud to stay secured in the track...ended up with a little tack weld...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

mtull

Thank you @RJChallenger for sending the inner seat track halves closely dated to my originals.  I was able to swap out the broken stud with an original.  I'll have to add a tack weld to hold the stud in (as predicted by other forum members).  At some point I'll disassemble and restore all the tracks correctly.  For now, I just wanted to get the seat assembled and back in the car.