Main Menu

Dying a black interior to F8 green

Started by 750-h2, January 11, 2018, 03:37:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

pink aar

When I dye items I use a product call Bulldog adhesive promoter. I have found out this is the best promoter in my book

750-h2

Al, those parts look very nice!  Do the multiple coats of paint tend to fill in the grain in the vinyl? Do you remove the Challenger badge from the dash prior to dying the coloured dash pads?  Also on your green sun roof Challenger will you also be dying new black door panels?  Lots of questions I know, but I value your advice.  Thanks

72 Challenger

Quote from: anlauto on January 12, 2018, 03:57:40 AM
Quote from: RUNCHARGER on January 11, 2018, 08:19:34 PM
Nice job Alan, as always. I figure the F8 will cover even better than the blue.

These were all originally black....

Alan I have a question about how you work indoors with all the painting you do?

I live in Ottawa so winter sucks for painting stuff in the garage.

I am currently re-doing a bunch of parts but have to do this dance between outdoor temperatures, heating garage, drying indoors etc... How do you paint indoors? do you have some type of ventilation set up?
Someday I will have a J0b.

anlauto

Quote from: 750-h2 on January 12, 2018, 05:52:39 AM
Al, those parts look very nice!  Do the multiple coats of paint tend to fill in the grain in the vinyl? Do you remove the Challenger badge from the dash prior to dying the coloured dash pads?  Also on your green sun roof Challenger will you also be dying new black door panels?  Lots of questions I know, but I value your advice.  Thanks

...I don't find multiple coats fill the grain on the console or dash...it's a total of 3 maybe four light coats.

...Yes I remove the Challenger script and replace with a new chrome one from YearOne.

...Still on the fence for the interior panels. I've done the original green seat backs over already, not sure the condition of the interior panels is good enough....I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Same story with the blue interior, got new Metro fronts but need to paint the original convertible rears, but so far I can't find paint that matches so I may have to paint all four panels. :pullinghair:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

750-h2

Quote from: anlauto on January 12, 2018, 06:03:46 AM
Quote from: 750-h2 on January 12, 2018, 05:52:39 AM

...I don't find multiple coats fill the grain on the console or dash...it's a total of 3 maybe four light coats.

...Yes I remove the Challenger script and replace with a new chrome one from YearOne.

...Still on the fence for the interior panels. I've done the original green seat backs over already, not sure the condition of the interior panels is good enough....I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Same story with the blue interior, got new Metro fronts but need to paint the original convertible rears, but so far I can't find paint that matches so I may have to paint all four panels. :pullinghair:

Wow that was fast! Thanks again for your help!

Burdar

I changed the color on some A-body bucket seat hinge covers.  They were originally black and I sprayed them pearl white.  The pearl white from Herb's just turned the black plastic silver.  I ended up having to spray them with SEM white first.  Then the pearl went on top of the white just fine.

750-h2

Update: Today I started dying my 1970 F8 interior. I have been planning this for a while and have purchased interior dyes from Herb's as well as custom blend Dupont dyes from Dave at Performance Car Graphics. I first tried Herb's dark green metallic dye for 1969 and 1970 interiors #1198. While the dye sprayed and covered very well it is much lighter in colour than my original panels. Looks more like later years dark/medium green. I then tried Performance Car Graphics and it is much darker and matches my original panels perfectly! Performance Car Graphics supplied me with 2 pints and 1 quart of dye all F8, but with different levels of sheen and metallic depending what area of the interior is being sprayed.  Very pleased with Performance Car Graphics interior paint system. Only problem with it is much more expensive than Herb's at a cost of $400.00 and that was 3 years ago so it likely went up.

Cuda Cody

Sweet!!!  Glad it worked out nicely.   :twothumbsup:

750-h2

RUNCHARGER

Thanks for the info 750! I always like hearing feedback on products like this.
Sheldon