Main Menu

Sound deadner/insulation

Started by redgum78, November 05, 2018, 03:11:24 AM

Previous topic Next topic

redgum78

What are people using under the carpet?

Dynamat seems to be fairly popular. Is there much difference in function between Dynamat and the cheaper generic type products?

anlauto

Some cheap brands are thinner, you have to check the label for thickness, otherwise they pretty much do the same purpose.

On a couple of resto-mods I've done I used a brand called WIREZ, same thickness but literally half the cost of dyno-mat.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Claudia

303 Mopar

I bought Fatmat, worked great! I think its just as good as Dynamat and less expensive.

RUNCHARGER

We  sell the Eastwood and one other brand, I used Proform on my orange car. I think they all are pretty comparable.
Sheldon

redgum78

Thanks guys, sounds like they are pretty much the same.
I guess anything has to be better than the carpet underlay direct on the floorboards.

anlauto

To do what you see the other fellas have done here, will be more than 100 sq/ft  :alan2cents: so any savings will add up quickly.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Katfish

So how many sqft is needed to do the floors and doors like pictured

nsmall

@redgum78 you need it shipped to Australia?  I used these guys...

https://store.secondskinaudio.com/

I live in a desert and these guys are based in New Mexico.  I liked their product.  It sells on Amazon.  Buying from them you can get a better deal if you buy their "B" stock.

redgum78

Quote from: nsmall on November 05, 2018, 06:54:36 PM
@redgum78 you need it shipped to Australia?  I used these guys...

https://store.secondskinaudio.com/

I live in a desert and these guys are based in New Mexico.  I liked their product.  It sells on Amazon.  Buying from them you can get a better deal if you buy their "B" stock.

Thanks mate, I'll check them out.

303 Mopar

Quote from: Katfish on November 05, 2018, 03:13:01 PM

For the Cuda, I ordered 2 36' bulk packs that come in 9 18" x 32" sheets that made measuring, cutting and fitting easier for me.  This covered the floor and doors, I did not do behind the rear panels or roof. 

https://www.fatmat.com/shop/36-sq-ft-fatmat-bulk-pack-install-kit-included-23333

Claudia

Quote from: Katfish on November 05, 2018, 03:13:01 PM

For my Cuda, I think I ended up buying four or five rolls (each roll comes in a 6" wide roll that is 25' long).  I did my entire firewall, floor and rear wheel wells up to the trunk entrance . . . I also ended up putting some on my doors as well.

anlauto

Okay....I thought I used more then that...it's been awhile....The stuff I bought came in 90 sq/ft rolls I believe, maybe I'm wrong... :looney:

redgum78

Was anyone using their car prior to fitting?

Curious to know how much improvement in both noise and heat after fitting the insulation?

Katfish

Great question above, along those lines, where is the most bang for the buck?
I'm mainly concerned about noise, the rattle type these old cars have.

Would I hear improvements just doing the doors, or is the floor needed too.

Appreciate the sqft numbers, based on both responses, sounds like 72sqft is the number.