Main Menu

Steering wheel color

Started by Yeya93, May 02, 2021, 04:15:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Yeya93

What paint color was used for the silver portion of a 1970 challenger standard steering wheel? And also, was that same color used for the silver on the A/C vents? Thanks

Julio

Floyd

Not sure what was used but I shot Testors "Aluminum" model paint with an airbrush.  Masking was tedious to say the least.

Yeya93

@Floyd would i need to do any adhesive promotor beforehand, or just shoot the paint on there, no problem?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Floyd

Adhesive promotor is probably a good idea.  I'm not sure if it was the old paint I used or lack of an adhesive promotor but it took forever to dry.  I put it out in the sun over a period of days to get it to cure fully.

Yeya93

@Floyd I'm gonna give it a shot when the time comes. I ordered some molotow chrome paint pens that i was gonna use for my A/C vents. So i wanted everything else to match to that color. Thanks again

Plumcrazzy

I have restored dozens of wood grain wheels and their horn/spoke pads. Here is my process---lacquer thinner--wipe down the entire pad--use Q-tips to remove the paint in the groove--remove ALL of the paint until the Q-tips are clean. Use whatever Silver paint you choose--I use a fast dry acrylic spray paint. Spray some paint into a small cup (or paint cap). Using a small detail brush carefully paint the bottom of the groove. Be as careful as possible to keep the paint on the bottom. If you get some paint where it shouldn't be (it will happen) just take some of your Q-tips and DAMPEN them with lacquer thinner and wipe away mistakes. Touch up with more silver if you get too aggressive. Beats trying to mask the whole pad. Good luck.

Yeya93

@Plumcrazzy Hey, thanks for those steps. I supposedly bought a somewhat restored steering wheel last year, but i didnt like how you couldn't see the silver circle in the middle entirely. So i removed the outer portion of it and saw that they placed a speed nut as for some reason it was broken initially. I removed it and resurfaced it as initially who ever restored it did a bad job and built up the epoxy too high. So i fixed it, and now the silver circle can be seen. But I want to respray with molotow chrome pen paint as i think I would like it better. So I'm just gonna do the silver portion of it. I am gonna go the masking tape route so thag way i don't have to do any mess ups hopefully.  I enjoy the hobby of this anyway. Lol

Floyd

As I alluded to in my post, masking was a pain.  I used vinyl tape for the tricky parts.  It took awhile, but The results were good. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P1ALOO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

screamindriver

The AC vents were originally a vacuum metalized finish.. No silver paint..

Yeya93

Nevermind. I didn't like the wannabe chrome finish. I'm gonna go for that aluminum/silverish look instead.