Main Menu

Steering Wheel Diameter Suggestions?

Started by chryslers4ever, December 31, 2018, 08:01:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

chryslers4ever

Let me describe a few things about my car. 73 Challenger, Borgeson 14 to 1 steering box, I Did It tilt steering column, OEM standard length pitman and idler arms, 18 or 19 inch front wheels with wide tires. I have a 15 in OEM tuff steering wheel ready to install. I could care less about having a OEM factory look.  I am considering something a little smaller to improve feel and handling. What size would you suggest? I was looking at a Grant 1075 (13 inch) steering wheel. What do you think?

GoodysGotaCuda

For what it's worth,

I have a 14-5/8" grant wheel with my Borgeson box and at low speed the steering is a hair heavy. Overall the feel is good, it's not too light under high speed cornering. Though, I would prefer a faster ratio [less turns lock-to-lock] for quick autocross-type direction changes.

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

7212Mopar

I have Borgeson box, stock steering column and standard 15" e body steering  wheel. Steering feel and effort is good. The steering wheel is big compares to modern cars. I think a 14" wheel might be better and gives more room getting in and out of the car.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Topcat

So what was the theory to make big steering wheels in the first place?

dodj

Quote from: Topcat on December 31, 2018, 11:20:38 PM
So what was the theory to make big steering wheels in the first place?
I'm thinking it has to do with manual steering and leverage.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

chryslers4ever

I believe PG Classics have a 14 1/2 inch Tuff wheel, and Flaming River has a 14 inch Tuff wheel. Low speed turning is a consideration. But I would really like to have similar turning capabilities and feel of a newer muscle car.

7212Mopar

14" should not increase the turning effort by much. I doubt that you can make it equal to a modern car like the new Challenger that has a rack and pinion setup. Unless you go with aftermarket like XV Motorsport, Magnumforce etc.

In the old days, power steering is an option with manual steering standard. Larger diameter steering wheel is needed to provide leverage for manual steering but manufacturer don't make different size wheel for the same car. So with over assisted power steering and big steering wheel, you can park your car with one finger on the wheel. My last manual steering car was a 86 Mazda 626 with a 14" steering wheel. It was always a workout parallel parking in the hilly streets of SF.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

chryslers4ever

I would not go the rack in pinion steering system route in my E=body. For me too expensive, have to weld, modify, and use coil springs. I want to improve what I have, short of rack in pinion (no disrespect to rack in pinion E-body owners). I also will be using a KRC ESP power steering pump. It has 9 adjustable flow valves available (to increase or decrease steering effort). I just want to consider changing to a smaller steering wheel.

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: chryslers4ever on January 01, 2019, 09:46:41 AM
I would not go the rack in pinion steering system route in my E=body. For me too expensive, have to weld, modify, and use coil springs. I want to improve what I have, short of rack in pinion (no disrespect to rack in pinion E-body owners). I also will be using a KRC ESP power steering pump. It has 9 adjustable flow valves available (to increase or decrease steering effort). I just want to consider changing to a smaller steering wheel.

With the adjustability in the pump, I would just make an aesthetic decision on the steering wheel. The effort will be just fine and will play very minimally in the realm of holding the road well. Which is what most are looking for when seeking out "new car"-like steering.
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

303 Mopar

Mpdlawdog

I put a 13 inch sparco wheel (love it) with a quick release to make it easier to get in and out of the car for me...I haven't driven the car yet but .I put about the same diameter wheel in my 68 charger...much quicker turning over the factory one...

dodj

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

GoodysGotaCuda

Another option is a steering quickener. I have a 1.5:1 quickener in my garage along with the proper couplers. I just didn't quite get there with my project.

Cuts the number of turns by 50% but will increase effort. Requires a bit of fab work as well on the column.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

JS29

@Mpdlawdog Now one can take the car for a joy ride with out a steering wheel! good theft deterrent.  :bigthumb:

chryslers4ever

I guess I wanted a little quicker steering without adding a steering column  quickener  or longer TA type pitman and idler arms (by the way the longer arms would interfere with my oil pan).