Main Menu

Steps for removing the whole dash assembly?

Started by Katfish, August 21, 2022, 02:10:42 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Katfish

I remember someone posting a step-by-step for removing the whole dash frame.
Unfortunately I didn't save it at the time, anyone have that info?

Thx

Katfish

That's it, Thx!

I see it's written for non-AC car, any specific changes for AC?

73chalngr

The hardest part is probably the the four defroster vent bolts . Having someone with small hands or the windshield removed makes it easier. Thanks to this forum I had the courage to remove my entire dash replace the dash pad and install rallye gauges. My windshield was removed at the time . It then snow balled into the steering column now looks crappy again forum to the rescue. Now the interior panel look crappy . Fixed them by the time I was done my interior looked new . Now I acquired a b body rear to put in my car and I will be looking to the knowledge and experience of this forum to lead me through this process.  What great people!!!

anlauto

Quote from: Katfish on August 21, 2022, 04:14:10 PM
That's it, Thx!

I see it's written for non-AC car, any specific changes for AC?

Just the additional duct work under the column and unhooking the vacuum lines from the back of the switch :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Skdmark

Also, remove the lower trim that AC cars have when you remove the A pillars etc. They tend to be brittle after 50 years.

I just pulled my AC dash last week. Did a rallye gauge swap, new radio, new 4x10 seaker and M&H wiring harnes.
Now the fun part of putting it back in.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

chargerdon

yep...   lots of fun.... i removed mine, at the time the windshield was out so those four bolts at the defroster area where easy.   Its also nearly mandatory to lower the steering column down to the seats, then unclip all of the wires, hoses, etc, the loosen the two bolts at the kick panels and rotate the dash down and then lift up and out.    Definitely a two person job for the final removal.   

Katfish

Thx for all the info, I'm going to give it a go...........

tparker

I thought it was a pretty easy process. Just take a few photos and mark the bolts. Like everyone said the bolts in the air vents could be a pain if the window was in. I was luck that my next door neighbor's kids decided to help me with that task by shooting out my window while I was over seas in the army. :o A right angle screwdriver might work. Maybe a stubby one, but I think that would even be too tall

Mrbill426

A 1/4" drive socket set with a universal and long extension works too.   :alan2cents:

Spikedog08

This is a task I will be preforming this winter and am looking forward to making my dash look amazing!   I saw someone mention that making a mount / stand for the removed dash is a great idea as well . .
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Mrbill426

I did mine last year.  Take LOTS of pictures in stages as you take it apart including wiring routing.  I use a bench but yes I have seen pictures of some cool stands that enable you to rotate the dash like it were on a lathe.

Quote from: Spikedog08 on August 24, 2022, 07:59:32 AM
This is a task I will be preforming this winter and am looking forward to making my dash look amazing!   I saw someone mention that making a mount / stand for the removed dash is a great idea as well . .

Katfish

Well, I got it out after much swearing and struggle........
The wiring is an absolute mess, so that's $700 for a new harness I hadn't planned on.
Taking pics is a great idea, it'll probably be months before it goes back together, and my memory sucks.