Main Menu

Switch panel colors

Started by Challenger in NC, April 23, 2017, 12:51:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Challenger in NC

Anyone know the best colors/paints to use for the knobs and switches regarding color accuracy? I've seen various shades for the twist knobs and tried to get close by mixing a couple of colors together from a model paint kit. I don't want to get too caught up in details this small but if the colors are off a lot, I'd like to correct it. This would be for a 1970 rallye version.

Chris

Cuda Cody

I just took some knobs to the craft store and found paint pens that were close.  Then made a puddle of paint and loaded up a syringe that I used to put the paint in the tiny arrow groove.  It's easy to wipe up any that gets out.  Just use a small amount of paint thinner to clean any up.

Challenger in NC

It was challenging to get the paint in the arrow groove with an even consistency. I had some success using a toothpick to apply the paint, but sometimes the paint would want to ride slightly higher in the groove. I ended up polishing the knob face with a fine steel wool which did a good job removing the paint on the top surface. I then applied a light coat of clear matte spray to counteract the dulling affect from the steel wool. However, still not sure if the shade of blue, teal and orange/yellow is true to the original. I reviewed some restored panels and tried to get close.

Cuda Cody

Is that your finished panel?   :lookatthat:  I thought you found a photo of a restore panel that you were trying to duplicate!  If that is yours then I say you did a fantastic job!!!!   :yes:   :1place:

Challenger in NC

Thanks, yes, the photos are of my panel. Auto Instruments did the woodgrain and I just repainted the knobs/switches.

cataclysm80

Challenger in NC