Main Menu

Test: Chaulky Door finish? Perhaps you can get by with this trick (test)

Started by kawahonda, June 27, 2018, 11:06:23 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

Alright, I hope this is a useful post!

So I read everywhere that chalky, faded interior panels are pretty much dead and buried and require quite the work to refinish. I suppose Dodge (and probably most other manufacturers at this time didn't really UV protect their materials).

So far, I think I have a method to bring them back from a "D" condition to a "B- to B" condition.

Peanut oil. I've used this for rubbers on my motorcycle restorations and find the oil to have excellant properties. It actually penetrates, smells neutral, and wipes away very good without feeling like you dumped your frying pan. Almost feels like it evaporates at the perfect rate.

If you are fine with bringing what so far everyone has considered "dead" panels back to life where they are not screaming "please take me off and paint me right now" (which is not easy) to significantly improved with much less work, you may want to look at this before and after pic. Yes, they are different door panels, but in very similar condition with the driver's panel with slightly more wear.

The question is how long it looks rejuvenated. I will post updates. If I feel this is actually long-lasting method, then I will post what I did exactly. So far, after 5 hours since application, it looks just like it did when I started. Again, this is in no way a rotisserie method, but one that allows you to ignore worrying about this sort of thing for a long awhile once finished.

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Cuda Cody

CudaMoparRay

At least for now looks very promising will keep tabs on this thread for updates.  :bigthumb:

Katfish

Chryco Psycho

Oldschool

JS29

cuda hunter

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

RUNCHARGER

That looks better all right. So this peanut oil makes black plastic parts on motorcycles look new rather than dull? I'll try it. You may have to put a thread in general with photos of your bikes by the look of it.
Sheldon

Shoooter

I tried this a few years ago with the faded black trim on my truck. it brings it back to life and looked like new. it didn't last long though on the outside of the truck , maybe a month. Maybe the more you do it the longer it will last. a interior panel like this out of the elements might last longer.