Main Menu

This shouldn't be this hard.

Started by usraptor, June 19, 2017, 03:43:43 PM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

Okay time to walk away but I still need an answer.  Been trying to figure this out all morning and just did an internet and forum searches with no results.  As my previous post stated I have the passenger door window glass and regulator installed.  I then installed the inner door handle and rods to the door latch and everything worked fine.  Tried to install the inner door lock mechanism and rods and I can't figure how to run the rod from the lock mechanism to the door latch.  If I run the rod outside the pivot guide, it hits the regulator arm when I lower the window.  Is it supposed to be run behind the pivot plate?  I tried that and its really a tight fit.  See attached picture.   Since the manual has the installation of the inside door handle and lock mechanisms before the window regulator and glass installation, I would assume that the rods go behind the pivot guide plate but they sure don't seem to fit and beside if that is the case why are the rod covered in the protective cloth to prevent scratching the glass?  Originally had the inside door handle rod on the outside of the pivot guide, but changed it for the picture.

Also, which end of the inner lock rod attaches to the lock mechanism.  Picture two or three?  I was pretty sure it was picture three, but again at this point, I just don't know anymore.   I've looked at the service manual, but all it shows are pictures of the mechanisms and says to install them but it doesn't have any pictures of the rods. 

Re the pivot guide, is the slide/guide part supposed to be at the top or bottom when mounted?  Pictures in the service manual are not clear on this.  I tried reversing it but then the regulator bound when turning the handle so I assume I have it correct but at this point anything is possible.  Maybe  I have the driver's side pivot guide in the passenger door??? 

Any pictures of the inside of the door without the door panel installed would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for being such a pain today.  It's just been one of those days.  Hey at least my tach works now!  I think I'll go take a nap.

anlauto

The rods go in between the plate and the door as in your picture. The rods shouldn't be "that" tight of a fit unless you're using the left rods in the right door....easy to mix up.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

usraptor

Thanks Alan.   :worship:   I'll give it a try.

usraptor

Thanks again Alan.    :clapping:  It worked.   :banana:  What we would do without Alan and the Internet??  :twothumbsup:

Cuda Cody

anlauto

I like E Body doors....what can I say  8)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Spikedog08

Should change the topic to this thread . . . "Don't mix up the door latch rods!" Or something like that . . .  :worship:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Mickm

Hi guys,
I am in need of adding these rods to my Tinfish. I have two sets of  the interior to latch rods but need the rods from the key cylinder to the latch.
Does anyone repop these? And if so, any experience with them?

Cheers!
Mickm

Cuda Cody

Good question.  I've wonder that myself, but never really looked in to it.  I don't think anyone is doing it yet.   :notsure:

Quote from: Mickm on July 25, 2017, 08:11:31 PM
Hi guys,
I am in need of adding these rods to my Tinfish. I have two sets of  the interior to latch rods but need the rods from the key cylinder to the latch.
Does anyone repop these? And if so, any experience with them?

Cheers!
Mickm

Mickm

Does anyone have a pair they would be interested in selling?

Cheers!
Mickm

rebelyell

Cuda Cody

Nice find!!!  I did not know they made those.  Any use them yet?  Do they work okay?

rebelyell

They worked great for me.

Only issue was they took forever to ship.

Mickm

Thanks Rebel yell. I'll get a pair coming.
Cheers!
Mickm

Mickm

I just wanted to give an update on the stainless wires that attach the door lock to the key cylinder.
I ordered them. It took about a week to get them. It took an hour to install the first one and get it working correctly and about 15 minutes for the second.
They fit and function very well.
Hope this helps someone needing to do this.

Cheers!
Mickm