Main Menu

Top Catwhiskers

Started by edison1970, June 16, 2019, 08:13:24 AM

Previous topic Next topic

edison1970

Trying to install them on my door panels. Anyone have a trick to doing this?  They are way to tight to push on.

nsmall

Petroleum jelly?  Just an idea,  I don't know if it'll help.

I would wait until you get the right answer because those things are too expensive to screw up and they are pretty easy to bend.

anlauto

They need to be on there tight and take some force to get on. I just start on one end and push them on, once on, you can use a mallet to seat them all the way into position  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

69BFan

Are you trying to install these onto original door panels or reproduction door panels?
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.

edison1970

69BFan

On original door panels, they are tight.  You can usually line up the felts in the proper location and then take a rubber mallet and tap them in place.  On the reproductions, some of the lesser quality pieces are a bit thicker to the point that you cannot use the inners without opening up the channel on the felt or removing some of the material on the felt.  But for original panels, they will be tight, but will go on.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

HP_Cuda

I remember doing exactly what Alan did, start at one end and slowly work them on. I don't remember using a mallet as I would hate to hurt the metal. It did take some time though.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

PatO

I used a little bit of white lithium grease. Wiped it on the top edges of the door panel, started at one end and kinda wiggled or rocked the trim piece as I worked it along the door.  When you get it figured, it'll go pretty quick. The grease cleans right up.  By rocking, I mean I started with the inside edge of the new trim on the inside edge (unfinished) of the door panel and kinda rolled the outside edge over to the finished or car interior side of the door panel, as you are working it front to rear.   Hope I said that correctly.

edison1970

I'm going to give it another try tomorrow.  When I get as frustrated as I was today, I'll walk away from it instead of breaking it. I did compare the factory piece to the new one and it seems like the new is about a 16th or so smaller.