Main Menu

Upper Door Panel Clip Location and Orientation

Started by Dmod1974, February 14, 2021, 12:05:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Dmod1974

My originals were long gone, and after scouring the interwebs I can't find any pics of where/how they attach to the door panel.  Can anyone post up a pic?  I can't figure out what they are supposed to do since the door shell doesn't seem to have any tabs or slots for them to attach to.

71vert340

On Challengers, the upper part of the door panel just slips over the top of the inner door sheet metal. No clips on door panel except along bottom edge. There are screws along the outer edge of panel.
Terry W.

Dmod1974

71vert340

They bolt to the inner door sheet metal. I don't have a Challenger apart right now but I believe my 74 Charger has the same clip. I'll look and take a photo if it's the same.
Terry W.

71vert340

Sorry. My 74 Charger panel door mounting is different than a Challenger door panel. There's 3 clips on the top edge of the door panel that clip over the upper edge of door inner sheet metal. Here's how they clip on top edge of door panel.
Terry W.

71vert340

Backside of panel showing a clip.
  Terry W.

71vert340

There's 3 of those clips on each door panel. Here's yellow tape marking where the other 2 clips go. I hope the photos helped. With those 3 clips installed on the door panel, the door panel just slips over the inner door sheet metal
Terry W.

Dmod1974

cudamadd

I just ordered them and hoping it will help fix my rattel in the upper door area

anlauto

Quote from: cudamadd on February 14, 2021, 09:19:55 PM
I just ordered them and hoping it will help fix my rattel in the upper door area

They won't solve a rattle  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dodj

I'm not sure the factory actually used three clips per door. I've only ever seen one or two. Usually just the middle one.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Quote from: dodj on February 15, 2021, 07:37:10 AM
I'm not sure the factory actually used three clips per door. I've only ever seen one or two. Usually just the middle one.

That's been my findings as well...they are pretty useless. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

FE5CUDA

There was only one clip ever used in the center and yes it will pull the top of the panel closer to the glass and help your "rattle" issue.

JS29

If a clip was USELESS than why would it be on there?  :alan2cents:

dodj

Quote from: FE5CUDA on February 15, 2021, 10:06:02 AM
it will pull the top of the panel closer to the glass and help your "rattle" issue.
Maybe, but I'm not so sure. I feel the adjustable 'fuzzies' have more to do with that?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill