Main Menu

Is this usable? Removing spray glue adhesive

Started by Mr Lee, April 29, 2020, 10:17:10 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mr Lee

I have a bunch of interior parts that were covered with velour.  Hence, after removing the fabric, there is spray glue residue everywhere.
For instance, this rally gauge housing.  I tried acetone to remove but it's very time consuming and the rag is turning black and seems like it might be melting the plastic.  Anyone know if plastic can be media blasted with something mild, maybe like walnut shells or something?  Just wondering if this stuff is worth anything because I'm trying to scrape some money together and sell some stuff I'm not using.   Aftermarket rally gauge housings are going for over $300.  Would be a shame to toss this one.  Maybe someone who's doing a restomod might want to paint it or something.   Anyone have any input on cleaning up glue residue on this kind of plastic?  The kick panels I have seem to clean up a lot easier than this gauge housing and the acetone doesn't effect it.  Probably two different types of plastic. 
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

Burdar

When my vinyl top was installed, the glue was sprayed in lots of places that it didn't need to be.  I used 3M Adhesive remover with great results.  It took the glue off and didn't damage the paint.  You'll have to test it on the plastic to make sure it's safe for that.  Acetone will definitely melt plastic if it's left on too long.  Get a can of the 3M stuff and try that.  :alan2cents:

anlauto

Yea, that's a tough one....has anybody every tried products like GooGone ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

Goo gone !
If the plastic gets damaged I suppose you could scrape it flat & apply black or carbon fiber decal over the surface in the worst ca

anlauto

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 29, 2020, 10:28:10 AM
Goo gone ?
If the plastic gets damaged I suppose you could scrape it flat & apply black or carbon fiber decal over the surface in the worst case

I don't think it's just a Canadian thing ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Burdar

My wife had some GooGone for when she used to scrapbook.  I'm pretty sure I tried it and it didn't do much to the vinyl top glue.  I don't remember 100% any more though.

Scooter

Quote from: anlauto on April 29, 2020, 10:25:11 AM
Yea, that's a tough one....has anybody every tried products like GooGone ?

3rd vote for Googone. That stuff will turn tile floor adhesive into an easily scrape-able goo if you let it sit for a bit. Has really good penetrating qualities.

anlauto

I've never tried it....I just see it at the store all the time....figured one day  :dunno:

Scooter

Quote from: anlauto on April 29, 2020, 10:44:25 AM
I've never tried it....I just see it at the store all the time....figured one day  :dunno:

I was in the same boat years back... now I always have a few bottles about the house. It's also good for tree sap and road tar. For nastier stuff you need to give it a few hours to penetrate.

Mr Lee

Thanks for the suggestions. 
I only had a few drops of Goo Gone left.  Note even enough to give it a good test.  Trying to limit my going out to the store right now with this pandemic.
Goof Off worked pretty good but also seemed like it was affecting the plastic slightly and smells pretty bad. 
Didn't have any of the 3M stuff. 

Believe it or not WD-40 worked pretty well and didn't affect the plastic.  I got most of it off with WD and a scotch brite pad. 
So for anyone else that needs to get some adhesive off of something, give WD-40 a shot. 

:clapping:
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

anlauto

JS29