Main Menu

wood grain dash overlay

Started by GoMangoBoys, March 01, 2021, 04:00:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

Does anyone have any experience with applying these overlays?  Do I need to take off all of the existing wood grain before applying the new one?  I repainted the dark brown bezels that lead into the instrument pods.  When I peeled the tape off, it took a lot of the wood grain off.  I am going to order the overlay from DMT for $39.  Just want to know what I am getting into.
Thanks

https://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/mopar-e-body-70-rally-switch-panel-overlay-4-hole-kashmir-teak-woodgrain-with-switch-labels/

headejm

Racer57

You want to remove the existing. Wait until new comes and you will understand what needs to be done to remove the old. 

dodj

I installed the carbon fiber overlay on mine. I don't remember removing the old finish? I remember the overlay being a little finicky around the turn signal holes. Getting it to lay down nice.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

tparker

I'm going to guess that lining it up correctly might be a pain. I always have issues with things like that. Have a plan on how to lay it down straight. It might sound lame, but I would watch some videos to see how others do similar things. Maybe not dashes but something else. If you are off just a bit it might not sit right on all the cutouts.

Just some thoughts

70vert

It would look best and likely last longer if you remove the old woodgrain. I am also doing mine with the black carbon fiber overlay. So far I've done the console and door panels and did remove the old using a chemical stripper. Still have the dash gauge to do, it will be much trickier!

Rich G.

I didn't remove the old stuff as long as it was in good shape and just faded. Just make sure it's nice and clean! Follow the instructions on the decal.