Main Menu

Cold air elbow / throttle body size?

Started by Katfish, April 24, 2022, 02:29:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Katfish

Need some help picking a cold air intake for my 5.7 swap.
It's a crate motor and the Mopar instructions say to use 3.5 inches and I measured the throttle body to be 3.5", so that makes sense.
I see on EBay all the systems for the 5.7/6.1 indicate its 4 inch tubing.
I contacted several sellers asking what the diameter is for the silicone elbow that attaches to the throttle body and all respond with 4".
So does that rubber elbow crush down to 3.5", doesn't make sense, either the systems they are selling as factory replacements have an elbow with 4" to 3.5" and they don't know what they're selling or it really doesn't match the throttle body size?

What have others done for this?

74-5.7

Are you measuring the inside diameter?  That's what the throttle body measurement would give you.  How thick is the material the intake is made of? That would make a difference  They could be  measuring the outside diameter  of the tubing not the inside diameter  This is the first thing that comes to mind as the possible problem.

Katfish

Thx for the reply, but I don't think that's it.
Pic of my intake, actually measures under 3.5 at opening, but's seems to be tapered a little.
So 3.5 makes sense.
Other pic is from ad, shows 10cm which is a tad under 4".
They all show these as direct fit for 5.7, so something is not adding up.

74-5.7

Definitely not correct. JEGS has a kit part number 028-100-350 that would be something that might be what you need.
That and some silicone connectors.

GoodysGotaCuda

I have an 87mm throttle body (3.42") and everything I am using is "3-1/2 inch" from the tubing to the couplers. You can see it necks down slightly at the TB.

Mine is all pieced together, no "kit" parts.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Katfish

Here's an update, I took a chance and went ahead and ordered the $60 kit from Ebay.
The good news is it will work.  The elbow is 4" on 1 side and necks down to 3.5" to fit the throttle body.
So this was a really good deal, would have cost me at least double to piece together the parts individually.

I've bought several parts that I won't be able to use for this swap, so its nice to get lucky on this one.