Main Menu

GEN III Hemi question ???

Started by anlauto, August 07, 2022, 02:24:44 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

So on my crate motor there's an open tube on the intake....I thought it was just a stanchion to support something on the new cars, but then somebody asked me at a cruise night why it wasn't plugged off....So I checked and sure enough it is open to the intake....

Started looking at pictures of new cars, and something is hooked to it....something my crate motor didn't have...My car runs fine, but could this not be considered a vacuum leak ?  Every once and a while I hear a whistle sound when accelerating ???? :looney: could it be that ? Should I cap it off ?

Does anybody know what it could be ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

HP_Cuda

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Dmod1974

Sure looks like the EVAP canister purge line port to me.

anlauto

So does it matter if it's open, or should I plug it off ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Dmod1974

Plug it unless you don't mind a large vacuum leak.

anlauto

Quote from: Dmod1974 on August 08, 2022, 04:13:17 PM
Plug it unless you don't mind a large vacuum leak.
That's kinda what I was thinking, but the car seems to run just fine  :clueless:  I'll plug it and see if there's any change.... :handshake:

Dmod1974

It'll probably compensate for it to a point in closed loop mode, but at WOT when it goes into open loop you risk running too lean at the worst possible time.  If it doesn't suck air at idle, my guess is it is "ported" vacuum only and why you hear hissing when driving since the throttle is opened then. 

1973Cuda

Mine is plugged.

Mybrothers70

Mine is plugged on my Gen3 as well. :yes: