Main Menu

I love my oval air cleaner - can I keep it?

Started by 360fish, December 30, 2022, 02:10:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

360fish

For a Hemi swap, is there a low profile intake/throttle body combo that will let me keep the oval air cleaner?    :notsure:

Has anyone tried to rig something up like this?  Does it even make sense?  :dunno:

I'm assuming I'd have to change the base plate of the cleaner...

I don't know squat about all this... can you take an intake for a carburatator and stick a throttle body on it?

I'm planning to swap the 360 in my '73 Fish... I have an original AAR hood and really like the look of the oval air cleaner...  so thought I'd ask...   :pokeeye:

I've noticed RAM truck intakes mount the throttle body to the rear...  maybe rig something off that...

Thanks in advance.   :cheers:

Alan
1973 'Cuda   Semi-Pro Touring
360 SB - 518/OD auto tranny - FAST EZ EFI - Edelbrock Fuel sump - HHR fan
Hella H4 headlights on relays - 97 Dodge Avenger seats - Chin spoiler - Bumpers pulled in to '72 offset

RacerX

another view, closer to fully assembled...

360fish

Ah... I see... Thank you for opening a door for me...  a barn door... LOL   :deadhorse:

Anxious to see how your build progresses in your thread.

Alan
Hella H4 headlights on relays - 97 Dodge Avenger seats - Chin spoiler - Bumpers pulled in to '72 offset

Chryco Psycho

Accufab makes a Throttle body 1200 cfm that is only 1.7" tall if that helps .

CudaA39

I fabbed an oval air cleaner setup for my G3 swap using the prefix intake, Wilson 1000cfm 4150 TB, and a 440 drop base.
Fits under a 71 non shaker hood just fine. 

Post #47
https://forum.e-bodies.org/your-restoration-project-roseville-moparts/10/71-gran-coup-gen-iii/13835/45
Check out my 71 Gen3 build:

https://youtu.be/XSDAWczXoZw

2015 Tri-State Stock/Superstock Champion
2017 Monster Mopar Weekend Sunday Pro Winner
2018 Monster Mopar Weekend Friday No Box Winner and 11.50 R/U

360fish

Thank you... I'm making my list... checking it thrice...  ;)

I'm on the fence about going 5.7 vs 6.4...

Both are good choices but unsure if one fits better than the other for any reason.

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: 360fish on January 01, 2023, 06:34:41 PM
Thank you... I'm making my list... checking it thrice...  ;)

I'm on the fence about going 5.7 vs 6.4...

Both are good choices but unsure if one fits better than the other for any reason.

Pretty sure that externally, they are both the same size.  The difference in displacement is all internal

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: CudaA39 on January 01, 2023, 05:55:44 PM
I fabbed an oval air cleaner setup for my G3 swap using the prefix intake, Wilson 1000cfm 4150 TB, and a 440 drop base.

Post #47
https://forum.e-bodies.org/your-restoration-project-roseville-moparts/10/71-gran-coup-gen-iii/13835/45

@CudaA39 Is this the intake you used?
https://store.prefix.com/products/arr-7509-m-gen-3-hemi-efi-intake-manifold

Do you have any photos of what you had to do to modify the big block air cleaner to fit?  Do you have to go with aftermarket fuel rails, or can the stock rails/injectors work?

RacerX

Quote from: Filthy Filbert on January 05, 2023, 06:33:02 AM
Quote from: CudaA39 on January 01, 2023, 05:55:44 PM

Post #47

@CudaA39 Is this the intake you used?
https://store.prefix.com/products/arr-7509-m-gen-3-hemi-efi-intake-manifold

Do you have any photos of what you had to do to modify the big block air cleaner to fit?  Do you have to go with aftermarket fuel rails, or can the stock rails/injectors work?

That intake looks good but is pretty tall....     depending on what air cleaner you are using you might
have to drop quite a bit.     

I used this one on mine:

http://ocperformanceparts.com/the_1st_single_4bbl_gen_3_hemi_dual_plane

Nice intake and not as tall.      This one uses stock injectors and rails, not sure about the prefix.

Filthy Filbert

Not too bad of a price.  Only $80 more.  You're using a shaker right?  what all was involved in mounting the bubble/air cleaner?

Also, speaking of Throttle bodies...  I know the stock set up is a drive by wire deal.   Can these engines be programmed to run with a cable operated throttle pedal? or is retrofitting the modern electric pedal to the older stock pedal the only option?

RacerX

Quote from: Filthy Filbert on January 05, 2023, 07:52:38 AM
Not too bad of a price.  Only $80 more.  You're using a shaker right?  what all was involved in mounting the bubble/air cleaner?

Also, speaking of Throttle bodies...  I know the stock set up is a drive by wire deal.   Can these engines be programmed to run with a cable operated throttle pedal? or is retrofitting the modern electric pedal to the older stock pedal the only option?

Yes, mine is a shaker so the clearances are a little more critical.   The G3 hemi is a little taller than an
original motor so out of the gate there is a height issue.   Keeping the intake and throttle body shorter
is a plus.

With these aftermarket intakes the throttle bodies are cable driven so using the original gas pedal is
not an issue.   In fact, the holley throttle body I have is pretty much the exact footprint of a holley
4 barrel carb and uses the same throttle stud linkage adapter as the holley carbs do.   

360fish

Hey guys, circling back with a question...  :notsure:

I've been emailing back and forth with Randy Bouchillon to get a parts list and quote for a Gen 3 hemi "kit"... he's been really helpful, as I know little about what I'm doing and he has lots of parts to help me get this done...  :soshelp:

When I mentioned I wanted to try and save my oval air cleaner by using a more 4 barrel-like intake and throttle body on top of that, he cautioned "the engine will loose torque and horsepower"...  he didn't say how much.   :thinking:

I'm posting here to see if anyone has been running a setup like this and has thoughts about how it performs...   :burnout:

Thank you
Alan

Katfish

I really liked the oval air cleaner look on my 340, but just couldn't justify giving up all the benefits of the 3G factory set-up.
Why hide that beautiful motor.
Car runs great!