Main Menu

what is the difference in the oval air filters

Started by Cuda_mark, January 21, 2020, 05:40:29 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda_mark

What is the difference in application between the orange and black air filter? Was one the assembly line and the other the replacement?

anlauto

Over counter replacement filters were orange as well as assembly line ones, so this is an interesting aftermarket part. I don't recall ever seeing a black filter with round holes available from Fram originally, I thought the black ones all had the mesh screen, but I could be wrong on that one :thinking: @mccannix ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

mccannix

Orange oval filters with the punched holes were assembly line correct under the Chrysler part number 2946186.
They were first replacements as well, then called CA332.
Somewhere along the line came the black with punched holes and were replacements under the same CA332 number.
I believe they were a limited run
After that were the mesh orange oval also under CA332.
I've had NOS black ones in the box dated 1972 so not sure when they came on board.
Perhaps others on here have more info.
Chrysler had two vendors for these air cleaner elements, one in the US at Fram in Rhode Island.
At the same time Fram in Stratford Ontario Canada were doing them as well.
The Fram Stratford filters were the ones that were shipped to Fram in Chatham Ontario who manufactured and assembled the steel air cleaners components to complete the full assembly.

anlauto

Great info Terry, I didn't know there were black ones with round holes....can only imagine how hard it would be to find an original.... :huh:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration