Main Menu

Tach Signal ???

Started by anlauto, February 11, 2021, 01:41:42 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

What is this: CBID - CANBUS Interface Device?
Do I have one ? Do I need one ?

I'm still a little confused.. :drunk:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Dmod1974

LOL, it's supposed to come in that controls pack kit!  I'm pretty sure it's that small black module in the top left corner of the kit contents pic on the first page of the manual.

P/N 77072456.

anlauto

You mean this thing ? It's just a fuse box
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Dmod1974

No, the Hellcrate must come with an extra module then.  I wonder why that would need an extra module and the 392 doesn't.

Do you at least have a 19 pin scan tool plug (DLC) in that kit?  As long as you have that it's going to be plug and play for that BIM-01 module.

If not, you'd need to splice into the CAN wiring going to that STAR connector (long rectangular bar with multiple plugs)

anlauto

YES....it does have the DLC plug and even a nice bracket to mount it ...LoL

Dmod1974

You're golden then.  You won't even have to wire power or ground to the BIM-01 if you go that route; it gets that through the 19 pin.

anlauto

anlauto

So theoretically, with this BIM-01 from Dakota Digital, I could plug my new E Body dash into my DLC on my 2017 RAM and the dash should work ? 

Dmod1974

Yes, actually.  Or a 2010 Camaro.  Or a 2015 Honda Civic.  It's a standardized communication protocol.  Call them up if you think I'm crazy!

anlauto

That's pretty cool I'm still wondering what this is and if I need one "CANBUS Interface Device"...In the pictures I posted on the instructions it mentions "not used in this application"  Will that matter, when it comes to the DLC outputs ? Or did you just mention that to confuse me  :looney:

Dmod1974

No, you don't need the CBID to make the gauges work.  I confused you; it's part of the Hellcrate engine controls only I guess.  That in and of itself is just another device reading and sending information just like the BIM-01.

The CAN wiring is already in the 19 pin connector, otherwise a scan tool would be unable to "talk" to the ECM which would prevent it from being programmed, diagnosed, or tuned for that matter.  It will be plug and play.

anlauto

That's cool  :bigthumb:

FUNNY STORY:.....My customer is the one who ordered the Dash from Dakota back in December. He had phoned them and talked directly to their tech line....I just went back and read his email to me, dated 12/03/20, and he ordered the dash along with the BIM-01  :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

If I had of just stopped thinking in advance, and waited for the dash to arrive.....my endless questions would have likely been answered  :console:

I certainly do appreciate our conversation tonight...THANK YOU for your time :drinkingbud: good night  :worship:

SRT392

Alan. So it's my turn to be confused. Could you throw up a pic of the BIM-01 so I can see if I got that with my Dakota Digital? I may need some help making sure I plug this stuff in correctly. Take care

anlauto

SRT392

now that i have pwr again and can get on line  thanks Alan i'll call Dakota and see if that will work....thanks