Main Menu

What flywheel and clutch

Started by Filthy Filbert, August 21, 2022, 07:32:54 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Filthy Filbert

Can someone tell me what flywheel and clutch comes on the 6.4 crate motors?

https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/product/gen-iii-392-hemi-6_4-production-assembly/

What diameter/tooth count are they?  Need to know if it fits inside a QuickTime adapter bell for a TKO/TKX manual (130 tooth 10.5-10.95" clutch)

Filthy Filbert

So to answer for myself and ask something new...

The crate motors come with the dual disc clutch used on hellcats.   It's very heavy and large.  Will not fit inside a QuickTime bell

So what flywheel have you guys used for a TKX swap?

Filthy Filbert

Bueller?

Surely I'm not the first guy who's trying to put a TKX behind a gen 3 hemi....

If so, Im sure I can get something made but was just looking for details on off the shelf solutions.    Is the modern hemi the same 8-bolt pattern as the old hemi's?   

anlauto

I bought the TKX kit from Silver Sport so I used whatever came in their kit, which looks like their own brand SST Advanced Friction Series II

Here's what comes on the 392 Crate Motor. I've sold two of them so far, this is the last one I have left. They are north of $2500 at the dealer. :o

Anybody local need one...$1000.00 CDN (POSITIVELY NO SHIPPING)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Dmod1974

You'll need to run a 130 tooth Gen 3 hemi flywheel and whatever 26 spline 10.5" clutch you prefer.  The Gen 3 hemi's use 8 bolts, but I highly doubt it's the same P/N as the older ones.  You'll need to remove the pilot bearing and cut out the crate engine pilot bearing sleeve and install an adapter bearing/bushing for the TKX input shaft.  I'm not sure if the pilot diameter is the same as a Tremec Magnum like mine or not.

Filthy Filbert

I don't know why I was brainfarting on aftermarket stuff.    :headbang:

I was looking at OEM applications trying to figure out what would work.  a quick google of "gen 3 hemi 130 tooth flywheel" has returned dozens of options that are available.   

I was hopeful that the TKX input shaft would fit the bearing already in the crate motor.  It looks identical to the bearing that was original to my Dakota when it had a 5.2 NV3500;  And that same bushing with needle bearing worked in another build with a big block/TKO as well as my current set up, which is a 5.9 and a T-56

If not, I may either turn the input shaft on the TKX to fit, or find the right bearing that fits

Dmod1974

I can't comment on whether it will work for the the TKX (though I doubt it), but what I do know is that the TR6060 pilot bearing installed on the crate engines IS different than the T56 Magnum and did require replacement.  It looks the same, but it's larger than the one for the T56 so getting the correct one is probably the only option since you'd need to add material to the input shaft.

anlauto

I feel kinda dumb because I didn't even give the pilot bearing in the crate motors a second thought...I was happy to see one was there and it looked like the one supplied from Silver Sport...so I just went ahead with the install (never thought to measure it) :headbang:  I've done this twice, with both TKO and TKX....no issues  :dunno: I did have to remove it for the A41 ;)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Dmod1974

EDIT: I guess the ID's are the same, it's the OD's that vary so you might be ok.  I'd verify the engagement depth is correct though.  I'm not sure why SST ships a separate pilot bearing in a unique adapter bushing instead of just using a new OE replacement for G3 hemis....

1970A-66Challenger

SST utilizes a Ford-application TKO/TKX for our Mopars so the ID of the pilot bearing supplied in their kit may be different than for an A833. 

Dmod1974

The Magnum I installed was definitely a GM unit and it used a pilot bearing with a .594" ID - same as the one Mopar installs.  HOWEVER, the width of the 2 bearings is different.  The SST one is about .75", and the Mopar one is about .575", so that may be why they use a proprietary bearing/spacer set up.

I'd still verify engagement depth with the bellhousing and trans mocked up to be safe.  If it is too shallow and not supporting the input shaft fully, issues may not crop up for some time even though it'll bolt together.  If it works, great!  Removing the crate engine spacer is a serious PITA.  If it truly fits properly SST should just ship out a replacement OEM part instead...

Dmod1974

Ok, I did some more digging because I can't believe I swapped a pilot bearing for no reason...  The factory FC69907 pilot bearing should measure out to about .760" ID.  Measure that to confirm if you can. 

Measure your input shaft; if it's right under .590" like I suspect you can't use that bearing since it waaay too big.  Again, you might not notice an issue for a while, but it is hell on the trans input shaft bearing.

The SST bearing was a WR57080 which is OEM for older GM trucks, among other things.  They install that into a special adapter bushing.  The ID is roughly .590".

Filthy Filbert

Thanks.   I'll have to come back to this thread when I finally get the transmission.   I'm still buying what I need to finish up the engine right now.  I have headers, engine mounts, alternator/idle pulleys/tensioner and belt, still need oil pan, oil filter adapter, AC compressor/fittings, PS pump, Holley engine computer/wire harness...etc   Still need to source the flywheel and clutch, I have the bell housing, and still need to get the gearbox itself.

Hopefully that'll all happen in the front half of 2023 as funds allow.  Then I'll be ready to fit it in place and determine stuff like where to mount the computer, where to run AC lines, Fuel lines, all that fun stuff.