Main Menu

Flywheel.... 130 or 143 teeth ? Still have clutch issues.

Started by Racer57, September 16, 2023, 08:34:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

70 Cuda 383 5 speed Tremec
I'm as tired of posting about clutch issues even more than you are reading about them. Clutch works perfect !  Until driving around town for 1/2 hr or more.  When at a stop, it won't go into first and grinds when trying to put into reverse. Going to call American Power Train since I have a Tremec 5 speed and talk to them.  Heat has got to be an issue with either the diaphragm pressure plate or clutch. I'm so sick and tired of messing with this SOB, I'll probably buy new clutch, throw-out, pressure plate and even a flywheel(doubtful) if I have too so that everything is new.   But I need to know how many teeth it has just in case.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Racer57

Chryco Psycho

physically the 143 tooth flywheel is much bigger & nees a different belhousing , likely it uses a 130 tooth but the belhousing is unique for the Tremec so .....

1970A-66Challenger

Not sure about all manufacturers but the Silver Sport BB bell housing for the Tremec will accommodate both size flywheels and starter positions accordingly. If the starter is mounted in the inboard position, 130 tooth/10.5". If starter is in the outboard position, 143 tooth/11".

Racer57

Quote from: 1970A-66Challenger on September 18, 2023, 05:27:19 PM
Not sure about all manufacturers but the Silver Sport BB bell housing for the Tremec will accommodate both size flywheels and starter positions accordingly. If the starter is mounted in the inboard position, 130 tooth/10.5". If starter is in the outboard position, 143 tooth/11".
Not sure what you mean by inboard/outboard. Here's a pic where you can see the "bump" for the starter.

1970A-66Challenger

Ah, my mistake, I thought you were using a stock-type cast bell housing versus a fabricated scatter shield. I would look for manufacturer's ID/part numbers on the scatter shield to determine what size flywheel should be used.

Chryco Psycho

Often blastsheilds have 2 sets of bolt holes which allow for either 130 or 143 tooth.
Ebodies typically only had 130 tooth , the 143 can be more expensive & harder o locate parts for .