Main Menu

50th Birthday Present

Started by 73_4_Me, May 07, 2023, 08:32:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

73_4_Me

Not for me. For my '73. She gets a new heart for her 50th birthday.
This was my first car at 16 (a very, very long time ago :)) )
It was my daily during high school and college. Then was relegated to storage. When time allowed, it would get cleaned up and put on the road for short stints. 2004, 2019, 2022. Although it only has 65k miles, it has midwest rust under an Earl Shieb paint job from the 80's.

Now it's time to address my biggest complaint. The 318 is tired. Still has the 4-barrel carb I installed during high school! I picked up a 2019 5.7 out of the boneyard and have started on a heart transplant.
This will not be a restoration. Engine first. Then drive it! Followed soon after by suspension/brakes. Then (maybe) bodywork and paint. We'll see. :tool: 
1973 Base - 5.7 swap

JH27N0B

Welcome, cool you still own your first car and that it was a Challenger!  My first car was a Challenger too, and I still own it.  The beginning of a 45 year affliction as I currently have it and 2 more Challengers!

usraptor

Very nice!   :welcome: to the website from Utah.  Keep us posted on your prgress.   :twothumbsup:

Mr Lee

Very cool!
Were those the original hubcaps or what were those off of?  They look good. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

73_4_Me

Quote from: JH27N0B on May 07, 2023, 12:34:06 PM
Welcome, cool you still own your first car and that it was a Challenger!  My first car was a Challenger too, and I still own it.  The beginning of a 45 year affliction as I currently have it and 2 more Challengers!

Thank You. I credit my Dad for not letting me sell it when I was young and broke.
Way to hang onto your first Challenger and give it some friends.
1973 Base - 5.7 swap

73_4_Me

Quote from: Mr Lee on May 08, 2023, 05:30:31 AM
Very cool!
Were those the original hubcaps or what were those off of?  They look good. 

Hubcaps were original. At least they were on the Challenger when I bought it. I think they go with the 80's tux!
Hubcaps are still hanging in my garage.
1973 Base - 5.7 swap

Hood

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your story about your car. Similar to you, I still own my first car which is a '73 Cuda that I ordered from the factory.  Happy 50th to your Challenger!  :happybday:
Original owner with 100% documentation.
Ordered my Cuda on September 29th 1972

73_4_Me

Quote from: Hood on May 11, 2023, 08:01:12 PM
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your story about your car. Similar to you, I still own my first car which is a '73 Cuda that I ordered from the factory.  Happy 50th to your Challenger!  :happybday:

Thank You!
Amazing you were able to hang onto yours! Congrats and Happy Birthday to your Cuda!
1973 Base - 5.7 swap

Lunchbox

Great story and welcome to the forum!

blown motor

Welcome to the forum from Canada.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Blowout

:welcome:  looking forward to following your journey.

jimynick

Welcome to the site from Ontario,  :canada: and good luck with the @heart transplant@  :wave:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"