Main Menu

Dropping in from for e-bodies only

Started by WDO72, November 20, 2022, 08:19:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

WDO72

Matt13, I to California from god forsaken NJ as well in 1999. I've made my way around the state, and I've been in Santa Rosa for the last 16 years. Concord is not far from me, relatively speaking. My wife once worked at Diablo Valley College, which should be close to where you are in the state. It would be cool to meet up at some point. However, it will be a couple of years before either of my cars are back on the road, as I've begun restoration on both. Kind of regret that decision. Lol

Blowout

Challenger in NC

@WDO72
D.V.C. was the college I started out at right after high school (Pinole/Hercules area). Used to commute there in '85-'86 in my 70 Charger. Then I dropped out when we moved to the east coast. Any how, welcome aboard!

WDO72

Cuda Hunter,

Not much provenance on the '70. VIN BH23G0E107386 (The car was missing the broadcast sheet and fender tag when I purchased it. The previous owner advertised the car as "paint ready." So, I jumped at the purchase and sent payment after considering some deceptive photos he sent, so the car was purchased sight unseen. Unfortunately, when I arrived to take the car home, I found that it was nowhere near paint ready having been in a serious front end/frame wrecking accident in the past, hence the state of restoration as it sits on the frame jig. Lesson learned the hard way.)

It would be great to find the broadcast sheet and/or the fender tag for the '70 at some point. Yet, it's kind of a blessing in a way. I'm building the car my way, without a care for numbers matching items. What I can tell you is from the info on the VIN. The car was totally green throughout. Body color was originally EF8 Ivy Green Metallic with a green interior including dash. Most likely it had buckets with a column shifter. Now the good news, the car came with a bunch of extra parts stripped from an AAR 'cuda. I have an intact AAR grille, fenders, passenger door, and a bunch of other smaller parts. My plan is to restore the car as an FJ5 AAR restomod with 440 and 18 spline A833 4 speed. I spoke about the 44O I have on for e-bodies only. The 440 is a police pursuit out of a '71 Polara, cool story there. The 440 is presently at the machine shop and will include Indy EZ1 heads, h beam rods, racing crank, etc. I'll also upgrade the rear to a dana 60 with 4 link suspension with mini tubs, and upgrade the suspension in the front. Within the next month I'll be installing the level 3 frame stiffening kit as well.

As for the '72, in my opinion I think it's a very cool car. I do have the broadcast sheet for it, and I'll post that. The car is EV2 with a white interior and is an original 'cuda. The original engine is long gone, no numbers matching to worry over. I have a '70 hp 383 and 727 that will replace the 318/904 combo. Otherwise, the interior and body will most likely go back to factory spec, minus the white vinyl top perhaps. This car came with most of the original parts and the frame is in perfect shape with very minor, easily repairable body rust.

I'm certainly enjoying restoring these cars, as they are my all time favorites. I just wish I had more time to do so, as I'm sure we all do.

WDO72

Thanks for the welcome and the story. Chargers are cool, and DVC is a great school. I did the opposite in moving from NJ to CA. I'm certainly glad there are no winters or salted roads where I live. Killer on the cars. I just helped my 81 year old father replace the rear brakes on his car in Jersey during a visit. Everything on the car was rusted solid, and it was only a 2014.

JS29

@WDO72  Your 70 BH car was produced in Las Angeles plant, there for not much chance of a broadcast sheet.  :console:

WDO72

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of that. Makes me feel a bit better.

jimynick

Welcome to the site from Ontario,  :canada: and congrats on your projects! I'm also a member on FEBO, but it's been a while since I got there. You're in a good place.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

usraptor

:welcome: from Utah.  It looks like both cars have good bones.  I'm also partial to '70 'Cudas.  Looking forward to watching you resurrect both 'Cudas.