Main Menu

Howdy from NJSteve (I had a whole lotta 'cudas back in the day...)

Started by njsteve, April 08, 2020, 07:50:15 AM

Previous topic Next topic

njsteve

Howdy All,

It's been around 32 years since I sold my last 'Cuda. I finally bought another one this week. I've been Pontiac-ing for the past 15 years or so. I'll be asking for a lot of help in the coming days. I am completely amazed now by what is being reproduced versus what wasn't available in the 1980's.

Here's a partial list of some of my old cars:
1971 Hemicuda convertible, automatic, Lemon Twist with white interior. I sold it to Otis Chandler back in 1987. yeah, this one...https://forum.e-bodies.org/cuda-and-challenger-general-discussion-roseville-moparts/2/random-hemi-e-body-of-the-week/3034/msg185449#msg185449
1971 Cuda 440 6bbl convertible column automatic, FE5 red with black interior 19,000 miles. I sold it to Steve Juliano in 1988. This one https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0519-371530/1971-plymouth-cuda-convertible/
1971 Cuda 440 6bbl convertible, 4-speed, Hemi Orange with black leather, two option tags, billboards, rubber bumpers... Sold it in 1986.
1971 Cuda 383 auto, convertible Curious Yellow, black interior, got it for free out of junkyard in Denver in 1982. Sold it in 1984.
1970 Cuda 440 6bbl 4-speed hardtop FE5 red with black interior. Original LA BS23VOE built car. Bought it in Denver in 1981 and sold it in 1984.
1970 Cuda 383 auto convertible FC7 with white interior, bought it in 1984 as a project car and sold it as a project car.

And after a gap of 32 years I just bought a 1970 'Cuda 340 4-speed FC7 original shaker car. My first small block Mopar car ever! I am very excited to be back into these things and looking forward to having some fun again.

Here's some photos of my old stuff before and after...

Steve

Spikedog08

WOW you have owned some really cool cars!  I would take any one of them!  Welcome to the site!  Glad you signed up!  Certainly show us some pics of your new ride!  We love pics here! 

:bigthumb:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

njsteve

Here's a couple more - The '71 6bbl auto I sold to Steve Juliano, in the condition I found it. And the 70 LA built car out in Denver. And the Purple 70 ragtop I sold before doing anything to it.

JS29

:welcome:Wow, that is quite a resume of cuda's i would say.   :worship:

dodgemania

anlauto

Welcome to the site Steve, very impressive collection and I'm sure the stories that go with each car. Do you ever regret  not hanging on to them ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

njsteve

Well, back then I would find a car, restore it, and then sell it to buy the next one. The only two I had at the same time were the hemicuda ragtop and the 440 6bbl 4 speed, simply because it was hard to find a buyer for the 6bbl at $22K.

My wife had a funny comment years ago when the value of the long-gone hemicuda ragtop had just surpassed a million bucks. She asked why I hadn't kept that car if it was worth so much money now? I said that if I hadn't sold it, I never would have moved down south and met her. She then exclaimed: SO YOU GAVE UP A MILLION DOLLARS TO BE WITH ME?

At that moment I followed the sage advice that a wise judge once told me: When your opponent is arguing your side of the case for you, don't interrupt him (or her in this case).

So I just gave her my most loving smile. :-)

JS29

njsteve

Here's the new project. I have always wanted an FC7 Cuda but could never find a decent one back in the day. This one has been off the road for many decades. It has a date code correct engine (the original was blown up in the 1970's) and it's original transmission. I was just looking for a nice car to have some fun with. I may end up putting some vintage Day2 speed parts on it. I'd love to find a set of 14x6 MotorWheel Spyders for it. I always loved those rims back in high school.

Also, here's the tach I have for it that is from 1972 and has been in a lot of my Mopars over the years. (I had several Hemi Chargers after I was done with Cudas).

Dakota

Wow!  Quite the collections that's passed through your hands.   Welcome to site from Buffalo , NY.  :wave:

Chryco Psycho

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cudagirl3406

:welcome: from NJ.... some really cool Cudas you had over the years!  Congrats on the new ride!  :bradsthumb:

mopar thunder

Welcome!  :welcome:  from Florida. I love all the cars you have had. There are some cool shots of them.  :cheers:

njsteve

Here's another shot of the junkyard car when I found it in the wrecking yard. I traded a 1972 Vega for it in1981. The Vega was left behind as a final insult to us by some neighbors when they moved away. They thought we were a bunch of greasy punks living next door. (We were all attending Denver Automotive and Diesel College at the time...and we probably did look pretty greasy most of the time, working on trucks) They drove the Vega in front of our house and abandoned it out of spite.

I got the last laugh since I checked with the local police and they said if the car was still there and hadn't been claimed by the neighbors after a month, I could apply for an abandoned vehicle title, have a key made for it, and it would be all mine, free and clear. I did just that...and a couple months after driving it as daily transportation I found the Cuda while driving by a junkyard in Denver. I asked the guy what he wanted for it and he said he'd trade me for the Vega straight across! I had the Cuda towed out of the yard and after ten minutes of messing with it, it started right up. It had all its paperwork in it and it turned out it had been abandoned at the Lowry Air Force base in the late 1970s (this was 1981 then) and towed to the yard. It was from Rocehster NY originally and was just a little bit rusty...