Main Menu

I joined a couple of days ago

Started by HemiRod, May 25, 2019, 12:04:44 PM

Previous topic Next topic

HemiRod

Hi,
I came across this website and loved it!  I joined a couple of days ago, and this is my first ever forum.  My first car was a 70 Barracuda 383, Automatic in FE8.  I have also owned a 73 Cuda 340 Auto., 74 Challenger 318 Auto., and a 70 AAR 4 speed all original FC7 with white interior, white vinyl roof, rear window louvres.  I owned this car twice.

I purchased my current car in 1983.  It is a 70 Hemicuda that was factory ordered in Oct/69 by the original owner (who I know).  He only had it for about 9 months and traded it in for a 71 Dodge 3/4 ton (at his father's request).  The second owner (who I know) bought it from original selling dealership's owners brother who owned a John Deere dealer (where the car was traded in).

He turned it into an NHRA Super Stock which ran under the name of OLD TRAPPER.  This was the second 70 Cuda that ran that name.  The first was also a 70 Hemicuda that was sponsored by Chrysler.  After the contract ended, the car was sold, raced, and now restored (I know him too).  The second owner of my car drove the first one, and after it was sold, still had the racing bug.  He and another driver drove my car.  The other driver recently passed away (I knew him), very sad.

The car was sold to the well known Lee Brothers about 1973, and was raced until 1979.  One day I was in there shop having my AAR worked on, and while waiting for it, I saw some photos on the wall.  It was the 70 Hemicuda.  I said, oh, my dream car, was it theirs?  I was told yes, and I said I don't suppose you still have it.  To my surprise he said yes.  I asked where it was, and was told it was across the way in their other building.  I asked if I could see it, and was taken over there.  He opened the door, and gave me the key to the shop and said lock up when your are done.  In the dark, I flicked on the light and noticed a car cover over something.  I walked over, lifted the cover and there it was, exactly as I saw it in the photo! 

I locked up the building, and went back to the main shop.  There we made a deal, and I brought it home in July of '83.  It has gone through a few different names and paint schemes and upgrades.  It is currently in the same paint done in '89.

If anyone is interested, I could post some original photos, and current ones.  I have tons of cool stories, and photos, as I have owned this for 36 years.  Also, knowing it's complete history is mind boggling, and this December will be the cars' 50th Birthday!

Brads70

:welcome:  Enjoy the site!  :wave:  I'd love to see some pictures sounds like a sweet car!

6bblgt

:welcome:

& of course "post the pictures"!!  :twothumbsup:

J-Code Jeni

Thanks for introducing yourself and sharing the terrific history on your car! Yes, pictures please!!  :D

Glad to hear you like the site- it contains a treasure-trove of resources and the most helpful people you'll 'meet'!  :grouphug:

JS29

70 Challenger Lover

Welcome! Definitely put up some photos.

What makes this forum good is that folks take the time to periodically review new posts and offer input now and then. Forums are a great resource and this one is one of the best I have found.

Dakota

:wave: Welcome to the site from Buffalo, NY.   Great story on your car.   I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures. 

Katfish

Sounds like a bunch of great memories.
Post up those pics.

Jay Bee

:wave:  Welcome aboard from Ontario  :canada:  Absolutely post up those original and current pictures.

CudaMoparRay

jimynick

Here's another welcome from Ontario,  :canada: and congrats on such a well documented score!  :wave:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to the site from Panama Rod  :wave:
I tuned your AAR around 1979 & I remember the day you bought the Old Trapper Hemi Cuda !!
Neil

mccannix

Rod....good to see you here.....finally
In case you're have trouble posting pictures , here's another cool one of your car in around 1971.

750-h2

Welcome from Northern Ontario!  Love to see more pics! :banana:

HemiRod

Thank you all, who have replied.  Some of you know I am not very good at posting photo's.  I am going to try on this post, and hope they come out.  First is approx. 1984 and second is approx. 1986.  If these go through, I'll try some others for your viewing. :thankyou: