Main Menu

Long time lurker :-)

Started by shadwolf, November 18, 2021, 06:13:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

shadwolf

Hi all,

I've lurked here for a while, lots of excellent info abound. I've wrenched on cars my whole life, mainly GM, but have lusted for a Barracuda since I was a kid. I saw an orange AAR in a magazine when I was about 10 - don't recall if it was Vitamin C or TorRed, but that was it for me. Well that and the Phantasm 'Cuda of course :-)

A year ago I found a basketcase '70 318 base-model LA car that was factory In-Violet. It's a perfect candidate for the moldable Barracuda I've always wanted. Recently purchased some ET Wheels LT-III's, 18x10 in rear, 17x8 for the front for it. Have a '67 B-Body Dana 60 for it, picked up a few OD 833's for a song, and have a 5.7 Hemi that'll be going in it as well. I have a '12 Challenger RT (Header Orange) and love the 5.7 in it... since I'm basically starting from scratch with this car, I figured why not go ahead and bring a modern 5.7 in. I really wanted a small block, but the pre-72 340 stuff is a little high, and couldn't find any good 360 cores around here. I'm glad I decided to go the direction I'm going with it.

There's really not much to show of the car at this point. I'm about to order a new roof skin and front cowl panel as they're pretty well ate-up. I've got a dutchman's panel and rear package tray to put in. When I bought the car it was stripped of quite a few of it's bones, so recently picked up (and rebuilt) a heater (only) box for it as well as the wiper transmission and wiper motor.

Will update with pics as I can make some progress. Am happy to be joining this site finally and hope I can contribute in some way.

Brads70

Welcome to the site! Sounds like a nice car1 I have those rims too, love them!

shadwolf

Thanks. I love minilites and the LT-III's were the only ones I could get in the sizes that I wanted. I'm really old-school, it's taken some time for me to get past anything bigger than 15" rims on a musclecar. The 20's on my Challenger have helped me push past it though, and I'm getting used to the 17's front/18's rear that I've got on this car.

Dakota

:wave: Welcome to the site from Buffalo, NY!   If you've been hanging around for a while, you already know there's great info and help from forum members here.

My '70 Challenger came with 14" Rallye wheels.   I have always liked the look of 5 spoke Cragars on almost any muscle car but they've become too pricey for my taste, so after way too many hours of thinking about it, ended up going to 17" front & 18" rear (Boyd Junkyard Dogs).   You will definitely have a decent selection of tires with those sizes.

Good luck with your project.   As you've probably seen already, starting a restoration thread is a great way to share your story.   And yes, we like pictures!

JS29

cudamadd

Welcome just like you when I was a young bloke here in Australia I saw a red 70 cuda 440 conv and I was hooked so to speak .Glad you joined up cheers  :australia:

oldmoparbuff

Welcome, glad you found THE car.

CudaMoparRay

:welcome: from Riverside, California

jimynick

Welcome (officially) to the site from Ontario.  :canada: and good luck with your car. I've got a 74 Challenger and run your 17" front and 18" rear combo, too. They work well together.  :wave:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

70 Top Banana

You came to the right place. Welcome from Detroit, Michigan :unitedstates:

dodgemania