Main Menu

My First EBody ever...

Started by gpm6367, February 11, 2020, 05:08:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Skdmark

Nice Challenger. I have not come across too many GA4 R/T's.
I have seen only one or two each in the available engines (340, 383, 440-6, 426) over the last 30 years.
GA4 is one of those love it or hate it colors. It stands out in a sea of high-impact cars nicely.

Here's mine. I bought it in 1990 when I was 16.
383 A/T very low optioned car (A01 light group is about it). I added the shaker back in '96.
Within the next year or two, I plan on re-restoring it.

-Mark
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

gpm6367

Since 1990! Wow! 383 car? Early or late car? If 383 I'd like to see detailed pics of Air Cleaner, vacuum and PCV line routing.

anlauto

Well his air cleaner would be different because of the shaker hood, but the PCV hose routing should be the same :rubeyes:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Skdmark

Easier to show the PCV routing per 71 Dodge service manual. The PCV valve is on the driver's side valve cover.
The hose run towards the front and through a hole in the throttle spring bracket and into the base of the Holley.
Your car should also have the 3-nipple breather on the passenger side.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

Skdmark

Here's some pics of my air cleaner. It's been hanging on a wall for 26 years.
Just has a semi gloss rattle can paint on it. Other than being the correct unit for a '71 383-4 it's not "OEM" restored.

If you want to see OEM restored \ over restored:
https://musclecaraircleaners.com/products/1971-mopar-dual-snorkel-air-cleaner-383-440-charger-rt-super-bee-challenger-cuda
-Harlan Ellison

cudamadd

gpm6367

I forgot about the shaker; I need a 71 air cleaner assembly.

gpm6367

I love the fact that you kept the original air cleaner! Never got tempted to sell t?

Skdmark

Never tempted to sell it.

Always planned on putting a 2 scoop hood back on someday. Shakers look great, but are a PITA sometimes.
A previous owner drilled hood pins on the wrong spot on the original hood. I sold the hood and have been on the hunt on and off for an original '71 replacement. It's harder than you think, '71 hoods do not have the holes drilled for the individual D O D G E letters across the front.
-Harlan Ellison

usraptor

Nice AC.  Just like the one that came on my original 383 '70 'Cuda.  :twothumbsup:  Any you're right the Shaker hood is a PIA when you want to work on the engine.  Looks great, but a pain to work around or have to remove every time you need to get to the  top of the engine.

6bblgt

Quote from: usraptor on June 18, 2020, 03:11:44 PM
Nice AC.  Just like the one that came on my original 383 '70 'Cuda.  :twothumbsup:  Any you're right the Shaker hood is a PIA when you want to work on the engine.  Looks great, but a pain to work around or have to remove every time you need to get to the  top of the engine.

the above pictured air cleaner is 1971 ONLY & would not be correct on a '70 'cuda (notice the breather tube on the driver's side snorkel)  @usraptor

there was a "early '71 model year" version that did not have the "HUMP" on the passenger side snorkel  :rubeyes:

usraptor

Thanks 6bblgt.  I guess I thought they were the same as I was only paying attention to the double snorkel, black wrinkle finish and 383 Magnum plate, additionally it's been a while since I looked at pics of my original 'Cuda.   That's what's great about this site and it's members, you learn something new every day. 

gpm6367

I'm going to look for a 71 unit and then will have my 70 for sale.

I'll need a heat riser for exhaust manifold as well. Is that piece reproduced?

Skdmark

Quote from: gpm6367 on June 25, 2020, 04:34:11 AM
I'm going to look for a 71 unit and then will have my 70 for sale.

I'll need a heat riser for exhaust manifold as well. Is that piece reproduced?

The heat riser, heat stove, and tube are reproduced.
-Harlan Ellison